Can't erase SSD

Reaction score
After I upgraded to MacOS 12.3, a program I needed stopped working, so I figured it was time to have another boot drive. I used to be able to boot to other logical drives before I got my M1 iMac.

So I copied all of the data off of my LaCie External 1TB Solid State USB drive that I used every day and ran Disk Utility to erase it.
After a few hours of "Creating the partition map", I got "Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.:(-69825)
Operation failed...

Now that drive is uninitialized. I tried again with the same result. I tried running First Aid on the drive. That didn't help.

So did I destroy my working SSD by trying to erase the data on it? What can I do now?

Reaction score
I tried 4 times and the 4th time I was able to format it. But I haven't been able to run "Install Big Sur.app" from within Monterey. I'd prefer to install Monterey 12.2, which I know works with my application, but can't find an installation program for it.

Reaction score
I couldn't find an install program that I could run from 12.3. So I hoped that the reinstall from the utilities boot drive would install an earlier version of Monterey. I ran it, but it got stuck. I had to erase again (with multiple tries), then tried again. It got stuck again. If I try to boot to that drive nothing happens. I think the installation didn't finish.

Reaction score
I couldn't find an install program that I could run from 12.3. So I hoped that the reinstall from the utilities boot drive would install an earlier version of Monterey. I ran it, but it got stuck. I had to erase again (with multiple tries), then tried again. It got stuck again. If I try to boot to that drive nothing happens. I think the installation didn't finish.
Try to get a copy of Big Sur from this link:

From the “Use Safari to download macOS on your Mac” section, click on the link for Big Sur. It should launch App Store and present you with the Big Sur downloader to your Applications folder. I’m not certain how it will behave from your M1 system so give it a try.

If the download finishes it should launch the installer. Abort the installation, copy the file to another location and manually run it so you can select the target drive. If you think your connected drive was screwed up, reformat it again with Disk Utility as APFS before attempting the installation.

Reaction score
I have the Big Sur installation file. When I tried to run it, my Mac told me it couldn't install it. I was hoping to find an earlier version of Monterey, but failed to find one.

So I gave up getting an earlier version now. But to be ready for future problems, I've been trying to install the current version of Monterey on that disk. I have run the install program, and so far it's run for a while, then rebooted to my main drive only partially installed on my removable SSD. (If I try to install it again, it tells me that). So I have to erase it and try again. I'm on my third attempt now.

Reaction score
I have the Big Sur installation file. When I tried to run it, my Mac told me it couldn't install it. I was hoping to find an earlier version of Monterey, but failed to find one.

So I gave up getting an earlier version now. But to be ready for future problems, I've been trying to install the current version of Monterey on that disk. I have run the install program, and so far it's run for a while, then rebooted to my main drive only partially installed on my removable SSD. (If I try to install it again, it tells me that). So I have to erase it and try again. I'm on my third attempt now.
Now that you have the Big Sur installer file, how about creating your own Big Sure bootable installer drive? For this I recommend using a USB thumb drive, 32 gigs minimum. (My Monterey installer drive uses up 14+ gigs and a 16-gig thumb drive will probably fail.)

Using Disk Utility format that thumb drive as Mac OS Extended (Journalled), HFS+J - not APFS. Bootable installers adopt the older file system so it will probably fail from APFS.

I named my drive Install macOS Monterey. For your purpose you can name it Install macOS Big Sur. (You can give it another name but I find that it helps to identify which macOS version I have on it.) Once the USB drive is ready, go to the location of the Big Sur installer file. Make sure you have the Finder path bar (bottom of window) showing. (If not, go to the Finder ->View menu to activate it.)

Here is the terminal command to create the installer:

sudo [installer file pathname]/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[USB drive name]

where you replace the terms in brackets with the correct information. Watch for word spaces. If the command fails, there could be spaces where they should or should not be. (After sudo and before and after --volume. The others would be from the information you added. If you are not familiar with text editing in Terminal, you can use a text editor to compose the information.

In the Finder window where you have the installer file, right-click on that file on the path bar and choose Copy “[file name]” as Pathname and it will be copied to the clipboard. Replace the first bracketed argument above with the copied pathname. Then replace the second bracketed argument with the volume name of the USB drive.

In Terminal, after you have the proper code entered, press return, enter your password and press return and let it do its thing. If the process was successful, you can reboot from that drive by selecting it as Startup Disk in System Prefernces, or just reboot with the Option key down to get a list of startup drives. Good luck, and enjoy.

Reaction score
Am I creating an installation drive with this:
sudo Install /Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur

Or my boot drive with this:

sudo Install /Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/LaCie SSD

??

Reaction score
Am I creating an installation drive with this:
sudo Install /Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur

Or my boot drive with this:

sudo Install /Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/LaCie SSD

??
In the first code, that doesn’t look like the path to your installer file. The first part should start with “/Volumes” followed with wherever your macOS installer app is located, and it should be titled as “Install macOS Big Sur.app” by default. As I wrote, the easiest way to get the text for that whole argument is by copying the location (pathname) of the installer file.

In my case, the code would be

sudo /Volumes/Lisbeth/resources/◊~install/~macOS/11.x installer/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/macOS\ installer

and the path for the installer file would be,

/Volumes/Lisbeth/resources/◊~install/~macOS/11.x installer/Install macOS Big Sur.app

It does not matter how long and winding the path is, the result should be accurate as long as it was derived by right-clicking on the name shown by the path bar (bottom arrow in the screenshot).

The second part of the code should also be a simple copy and paste of the path to the drive that you prepared as the installer. In my case, I formatted it as “macOS installer” hence the path is “/Volumes/macOS” installer.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 06.28.56.jpeg

So all you need to type in (or copy and paste) separately is “/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume ”. In summary, the terminal command will be “sudo ” followed by the path to your copy of the installer file, followed by “/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume ” and concluded by the path to your target drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've always been confused by "/volume" and "/Users". I have a file inside my "howardjbrazee" folder named "Install macOS Big Sur.app", when I do "Get Info", I copied the "Where Macintosh HD > Users > howardjbrazee" and pasted it as "/Users/howardjbrazee". I have copied the installation file a few different places for safety.

I want to boot to "LaCie SSD" when I'm done. My memory card is named "Install macOS Big Sur".

Reaction score
I've always been confused by "/volume" and "/Users". I have a file inside my "howardjbrazee" folder named "Install macOS Big Sur.app", when I do "Get Info", I copied the "Where Macintosh HD > Users > howardjbrazee" and pasted it as "/Users/howardjbrazee". I have copied the installation file a few different places for safety.

I want to boot to "LaCie SSD" when I'm done. My memory card is named "Install macOS Big Sur".
“LaCie SSD” is not in the picture for now. You just need the paths for the installer file and the (prepared, HFS+) drive as installer. Just use the information copied from the device’s pathbar which will always be accurate. Get info will not give you the actual path.

After your installer is created, (a USB thumb- or external drive,) you should be able to boot from it and the installer app will ask you to choose where to install macOS. I recommend turning on your Finder windows’ pathbar permanently.

Reaction score
That's the bar at the bottom of the finder? I couldn't live without it.
So I should run:

Then reboot to the USB card and it will start the process to install Big Sur where I will tell it to go to my LaCie SSD.

??

Reaction score
That's the bar at the bottom of the finder? I couldn't live without it.
So I should run:

Then reboot to the USB card and it will start the process to install Big Sur where I will tell it to go to my LaCie SSD.

??
“/Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/” still doesn’t look right to me. Are you sure you got that information by copying from the pathbar? At the very least, the name of the installer should be “Install macOS Big Sur.app,” if you downloaded it from the Apple site.

Accordingly, “Install macOS Big Sur” is the exact name of the target drive, correct? Is it formatted as HFS+?

Reaction score
I copied it from the "Get Info". Here it is from the path bar at the bottom of the Finder window: "/Users/howardjbrazee/Install macOS Big Sur.app"
Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 10.24.15 AM.png

Reaction score
I copied it from the "Get Info". Here it is from the path bar at the bottom of the Finder window: "/Users/howardjbrazee/Install macOS Big Sur.app"View attachment 4272
Looks about right to me. When you paste in the information into Terminal, you will notice that spaces are turned into “\ ” (forward slash + space). If there are errors in the code, Terminal will let you know immediately.

Reaction score
I ran this, and got the reply instantly. I don't see anything on the drive.

Last login: Fri Mar 18 16:59:13 on console

howardjbrazee@Howard-Brazees-M1-iMac ~ % sudo Install /Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur

Password:

usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 file2

install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory

install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

howardjbrazee@Howard-Brazees-M1-iMac ~ %

Reaction score
I ran this, and got the reply instantly. I don't see anything on the drive.

Last login: Fri Mar 18 16:59:13 on console

howardjbrazee@Howard-Brazees-M1-iMac ~ % sudo Install /Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur

Password:

usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 file2

install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory

install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

howardjbrazee@Howard-Brazees-M1-iMac ~ %
Did you just type in the source and target information? I don’t see any “\” before the spaces. And right after “sudo ” it should follow with /Volumes/… etc. “Install ” after “sudo ” is definitely incorrect.

Reaction score
I created the command in Notes and cut and pasted it into my posts here and in Terminal, because I suspected I didn't understand everything you were saying. So here's another guess about what I'm supposed to paste:

sudo Install /Volumes/Users/howardjbrazee/macOS Big Sur/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur

Ask a Question