Can't empty trash because "item in use"

Reaction score
I have taken some screen shots of info in my address book. (png files) and I can send to trash but can't empty them from the trash. What am I missing

An error messge comes up and says they can't be deleted because they are "in use". I thought maybe it was because address book was in use so I quit address book but still get same message. Would apapreciate any and all input.

Reaction score
Generally when that happens, the files are being used by an application. Try quitting the suspecting app (Address Book, most likely). If that doesn't work, you can try logging off and back on again. That should clear the problem. There's also the other choice of using Finder > Secure Empty Trash.

Reaction score
having the same problem due to "fonts"

How do I get rid of these?

Ive clicked the mouse about 500 times and finally the only thing left in the trash is the offending fonts so Ive made a folder adn have put them in there until I know how to get rid of them but now Ive got more in the trash and the folder is growing.

help anyone

Reaction score
the work around that i found is to go to force quit applications and relaunch the finder there is a bug have the same problem.
G5 duel 2 1g of ram

Ask a Question