Can't empty trash.. item still in use

Reaction score
There is an item that will not go away. Trash says it is in use but it isn't. It is not important to the computer. When buying an item online i clicked to read the terms and conditions, the page did not load properly, i can't remember what happened after that but at some point this (2 sentence)opened page ended up as a file/disk on my computer. It has only 2 sentences on it. In an effort to solve it i have verified disk permissions, i have ownership to read and write, i have emptied the cache and tried to force trash it. nothing works. It doesn't show up as an item in disk utility so i can't erase it there. I don't know a lot about this but i have tried to do all that seems obvious or anything that books might help with. Mac Help is no help on this occasion. Can you help please?

Reaction score
Hold down the Option Key and Empty the Trash.
Doing a restart will also clear this.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Have just tried Option key/empty trash still didn't work. Got to leave for work shortly will try restart later on. i was trying to avoid it as i wanted to know why this happened and the correct way to fix it. Over night i had a thought, each time i tried to empty, the internet was connected so have now tried without connection but still no joy.

Reaction score
All it is is the Busy bit is set on the file, used to happen a lot in Panther, less so in Tiger, unusual in Leopard.

Open Terminal in Utilities and type rm space then drag and drop the file onto the terminal window.

rm /Some/Path/To/A/File.busy

press return.

Reaction score
Ok. i will have a go at that when i have time to concentrate. Very interesting explanation. i did read about rm in my books and thought it might apply but didn't want to venture into more trouble.Also realised i forgot to tell you i have Tiger on eMac but run it from an iMac keyboard cos it is smaller. I presume the keyboard doesn't make any difference? i will let you know how it goes or if i need a bit more help. Thanks. Susan.

Reaction score
I pay (almost) undying homage Kaveman. Just completed the action and its gone off into cyber space. Thank you. Much more satisfying than Restart.

Ask a Question