Can't delete a old Windows partition on my MacBook

Reaction score
I inherited a 2009 MacBook that the previous owner was dual booting with Windows XP. Before I received it he had wiped the contents of the Windows partition but left the partition intact. I have been trying unsuccessfully to remove that partition and use the whole drive for the Mac OS. I am totally unfamiliar with the Mac so I am at a loss as to how to delete this partition. Can someone please help me?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What version of Mac OS X is currently installed?

Can you see BootCamp Assistant in Applications>Utilities?

When you run it there should be a button to remove the Windows Partition

Have you already started creating your own personal files on this MacBook or is it still in the condition your inherited it in … I ask because it might be in your better interest to just start from scratch & partition/reformat the HD then install a fresh OS X.

This way you remove any presence of the previous owner.

Reaction score

Have you already started creating your own personal files on this MacBook or is it still in the condition your inherited it in … I ask because it might be in your better interest to just start from scratch & partition/reformat the HD then install a fresh OS X.

Thanks Spawn for the response.

I can see the Boot Camp Assistant in Utilities. The computer is just as I received it and have done nothing to it except trying to delete the old windows partition.

I will do as you suggested with the BootCamp Assistant tomorrow and post back the results.

Incidentally, The OS is Leopard.

Reaction score

Hi Spawn,
I have decided my best course of action would be to partition/reformat the HD, if I can. I am totally unfamiliar with the Mac OS and really don't know how to proceed in doing this.

All my years in computers has been in windows where I used a "Wiping" program to delete the old Win OS and then could reinstall a fresh copy of Windows.

How do I delete the OS from the Mac and reinstall the OS? I don't want to screw things up more than they are. :)

Thanks

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Did you also inherit the install media? Before we continue you will need these discs.

If you don't have them & can't get them from the previous owner, then you can purchase Snow Leopard (10.6) from the Apple Website store (links) Aus$25 or US$19.99 or £14 depending on your country.

Your MacBook can run the most recent version of Mac OS X but we can talk about that once you are up & running with Snow Leopard.

Once you have the required install media then let us know & we can help you from there

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you also inherit the install media? Before we continue you will need these discs.

If you don't have them & can't get them from the previous owner, then you can purchase Snow Leopard (10.6) from the Apple Website store (links) Aus$25 or US$19.99 or £14 depending on your country.

Your MacBook can run the most recent version of Mac OS X but we can talk about that once you are up & running with Snow Leopard.

Once you have the required install media then let us know & we can help you from there
Hi Spawn,
I do have the original installation disks of "Mountain Lion" and also the "Snow Leopard" disk that he used to upgrade.

A brief synopsis of what I think I am up against is this: I am not sure how he deleted the windows OS, but I am concerned that it was done improperly and this is why. When I go into Disk Utilities it is showing me the 250 GB Fujitsu HDD and Boot Camp.

If I open the 250GB drive it is showing me two partitions, one is labeled "Free Space" which is occupying 99.? GB and the other patition is shown as "Boot Camp", which is showing as occupying 150.? GB. I have tried to resize them, but it will not allow me to do so.

If I try to get into "Recovery" by holding down the Option key it comes up with the BootCamp logo and if I open that it opens to the desk top. If I try to get into Recovery by restarting the computer and holding down the Command key + R key until the Apple Logo appears it still just opens up to the desk top.

I hope that this is not too confusing.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
using either install disc, boot up holding C, or Opt … then select the install icon & navigate to Disc Utilities, it will become available under a menu in the upper section of the screen. Once in Disc Utility, click to highlight the top entry in the left column, this will be the internal drive.

Click on the Partition tab then make sure it's set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Click Apply, then once completed go ahead with the Mac OS X installation

Let us know if you cannot partition the internal drive this way because of the pesky Bootcamp partition

Reaction score
using either install disc, boot up holding C, or Opt … then select the install icon & navigate to Disc Utilities, it will become available under a menu in the upper section of the screen. Once in Disc Utility, click to highlight the top entry in the left column, this will be the internal drive.

Click on the Partition tab then make sure it's set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Click Apply, then once completed go ahead with the Mac OS X installation

Let us know if you cannot partition the internal drive this way because of the pesky Bootcamp partition
Hi Spawn,

There is still no joy. Regardless of what I try I am unable to get into the system as you suggested. I did get the "Install" icon up, but the only option that was available was to install to BootCamp. The HDD drive was not given as an option so I had no choice for partitioning. It is quite frustrating.

I guess that maybe sometime a gift horse might become a trojan horse. LOL

I really do appreciate your hanging in there with me.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Still a few things to try.

Boot from the Snow Leopard install media, go into Disc Utility then select your hd which will be the top listing in the left column.

Next click on the 'Erase' tab & make sure Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is showing in the pull down menu, name the hd 'MacintoshHD' then click on 'Erase'

If successful, go ahead & select your HD in Disc Utilities left column & then partition it as 1 partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

You should be able to install Snow Leopard now

Reaction score
Still a few things to try.

Boot from the Snow Leopard install media, go into Disc Utility then select your hd which will be the top listing in the left column.

Next click on the 'Erase' tab & make sure Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is showing in the pull down menu, name the hd 'MacintoshHD' then click on 'Erase'

If successful, go ahead & select your HD in Disc Utilities left column & then partition it as 1 partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

You should be able to install Snow Leopard now
Hi Spawn,

VOILA! That did the trick. BootCamp is gone and I now have access to my full HDD.

Thank you so much for staying with and giving me so much help. I really do appreciate it.

No doubt I will be back for more help later as I stumble through the process of understanding the Mac's learning curve.

I will be gone for about a month, but whenI get back I will probably have more questions.

Again, many thanks

Ask a Question