Can .mp4 files be infected?

Reaction score
Hello!

Sorry if this is wrong place to post.

I have a likely stupid sounding question, but coming from Windows background, I believe danger from everything.

I'm usually very paranoid, but was tired at one point, real life stress making me crack, I did something stupid - I downloaded some video files that were hosted in https://openload.co/f/

I pretty much regretted my lack of carefulness few days later and deleted them. Issue being, I also had moved them to external hard drive and deleted them from there as well.

But now I'm struggling with paranoia and regret of that one time letting my impulses get out of control.

So my questions are as follow:

1) Is there Mac malware that hides itself inside .mp4 files? Like the file is video file that was expected and it plays, but could something malicious sneak in with it and run in the background without user noticing it? Can Mac malware hide itself inside of mp4 or even image files?

Are there Mac malware/adware/trojans, that can mask themselves with for example .mp4 file extension and when user clicks, it already runs and/or installs something?

For example catvideo.mp4 is instead installer to malware/trojan? Wouldn't there be some window asking about installing or can it just run/install without asking user's allowance?

Or is there a possibility user downloads a video.mp4, clicks on it, video plays normally, but in background something malicious, without user noticing, activates when video was activated?

2) Mac lacks malware that can infect other files, yes? So when I put them on external hard drive, then deleted them, even if there was something malicious, other files there would not have been infected? And using uploading to Mac from that external hard drive would not be a threat?

3) Does Mac malware actually have to ask user to let it run or can it simply sneak in and start running right away?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Any downloaded file could have viruses/malware embedded in them, but normally they are executable/installers or documents, not audio/video files.
-I don't remember hearing any reports of audio/video files containing viruses/malware, simply due to the nature of their file type. Audio/video application installers on the other hand, have been known to contain malicious content, but only when downloaded from sites other than the company that makes them.
-If you are worried, you can run the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac app and it will find any files containing malware. It is an incredibly valuable piece of software.

Hope that helps ease your mind.

C

Ask a Question