Resizing mp4 video files from one size to another size

Reaction score
I am trying to burn several, different sized video files onto a blank DVD+R disc. The first 2 are sized 720 x 404 however the second 2 are sized 640 x 480. The burning software (4Media DVD Creator for Mac) processes the first 2 (720 x 404) files but fails when attempts to process the two 640 x 480 files in the same operation.

Is there a software program (hopefully free) that will let me drag/drop one sized video file to resize it to a different size, please?
Hoping someone can help, I remain

Yours sincerely, Ranger1.

Reaction score
Handbreak, will do this, you will also need VLC as Handbreak uses it's libraries.

Reaction score
Handbreak, will do this, you will also need VLC as Handbreak uses it's libraries.
G'day Kaveman,

Thank you kindly for your response yesterday. I downloaded/installed both VLC and Handbrake as you suggested. I cannot work out how to use Handbrake to change a video's screen dimensions. Loading a 640 x 480 sized video file and then opening the 'Picture Settings' dialogue, I cannot increase the the video's screen width beyond its default 640 dimension.

I've downloaded various video files of the same subject. In the burning software (4Media DVD Creator for Mac), the first 2 files show as having 720 x 404 dimensions while the second 2 show dimensions of 640 x 480.

I hope that if I can make the screen dimensions uniform, the DVD Creator will burn 4 files (at a time) onto a single DVD+R blank disc.

I tried also to change screen dimensions using 'Avidemux 2.6' only to get the message below.

Hoping this might help clarify where I'm at with this problem, I am

Yours sincerely, Ranger 1.

Attachments

• Avidemux2.6 fail.png
    Avidemux2.6 fail.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 415

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
G'day Ranger1,

What type of files are the two videos?

Exactly what are you trying to achieve in the big picture? A DVD for archival purposes or a DVD that plays in any player?

Reaction score
G'day Ranger1,

What type of files are the two videos?

Exactly what are you trying to achieve in the big picture? A DVD for archival purposes or a DVD that plays in any player?
G'day Spawn,

The two video files are mp4 format. I was trying to burn four TV episodes per blank DVD+R 4.7GB disc, having set the '4Media DVD Creator window to DL 8.5GB setting.

I've just managed to burn two 720 x 404 files and two 720 x ?? files onto one blank DVD disc. So the theory seems to work.

However, while all this was happening, the Mac OS X 10.9.2 so recently reinstalled after erasing the Mac HD has again become corrupted. All files stored within created folders on the desktop and HD generally have disappeared again. I've dragged/copied the 'Users/Paul Collins' folder to the external drive (OS X 10.9.2 clean installed) and await further contact from Apple Support.

I last week purchased a recovery type software, (the name of which I cannot now recall) and installed it on the external HD, to address this very situation. That software had also disappeared when I rebooted using the external HD as startup disk.

Feeling somewhat low but appreciative of your generous help, I remain

Despondently yours, Ranger 1.

Reaction score
Hmm, Giving the Mac a single layer 4.7GB disk and telling the burning software it's a 8.5GB dual layer disk might not have the desired results???

Reaction score
Hmm, Giving the Mac a single layer 4.7GB disk and telling the burning software it's a 8.5GB dual layer disk might not have the desired results???
Hello again Kaveman,

I get the drift of your comment 'burning more than 4.7GB video data onto a blank 4.7GB DVD+R disc'. I don't know how but I managed to burn two blank 4.7GB DVD+R (SL) discs with more than the apparent maximum allowable. The program that accomplished this surprising feat is '4Media DVD Creator for Mac'. I tried dragging the video files totalling more than 4.7GB into the burn settings window, selected "DVD DL" rather than the "DVD" default and inserted an 8.5GB DVD+R DL blank but the program asked instead for a blank 4.7GB disc to be inserted. This I did and voila! I don't understand how this works but, as long as the video's screen dimensions are the same, e.g. 720 x 404, the program will do the seemingly impossible.

I had previously purchased 3 packs of "TDK DVD+R DL" blanks and software I thought would recognise DL blanks and burn the 'larger than 4.7GB' video files accordingly. No software I tried e.g. "Aimersoft DVD Creator for Mac" or "DVDFab 9" suite worked.

Independent of the DVD burn/ video resize issue, I'm still waiting for Apple Support to return my calls to solve the disappearance again of vast numbers of files stored within manually created folders on my internal drive AND all 'non OS X' applications from my dock. When this happened three or four weeks ago, I had to erase my Mac HD and clean install OS X 10.9.2 and all other applications also needed to be reinstalled again. The amount of file data I lost then I can only guess at. I'm not anxious to repeat the exercise.

The app icons have become either a "?" symbol or a generic application icon, such as is displayed when installing many non Apple programs. E.g. When I double click the "Adobe Photoshop Elements 8" icon (now generic style), I get a message which reads >>
'The application "Adobe Photoshop Elements" can't be opened. An error (?) number -10810 appears below the dialogue.'

I googled that error number but nothing even close numerically is listed. Do you know what that error message means by any chance, please?

Still mired in despondency, I remain

Yours, Ranger 1.

P.S. Until this loss of HD files, applications issue is resolved, I can't even open '4Media DVD Creator for Mac' as it has disappeared from my Applications folder along with all the other non Apple software I only recently reinstalled.

Ask a Question