Can I Upgrade

Reaction score
I have an older Mac. The About this Mac says Mac OS X Version 10.6.8; Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 2 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM. I know how old this is, but it suits my needs just fine... right up until my printer broke. I found a printer comparable to what I had, but it says I have to have at least OSX 7. I tried ordering a CD of Lion, twice, and both times it didn't work. I'm wondering if this Mac is too old to be upgraded; or the CDs were just bad. Can anybody help?

Reaction score
Is there a way I can look that up on the machine? It's white, one piece, screen with built in cd/dvd drive in the side??? Maybe 2010???

Reaction score
Is there a way I can look that up on the machine? It's white, one piece, screen with built in cd/dvd drive in the side??? Maybe 2010???
Go to the Apple menu, select About This Mac and a window opens. Click on More Info… and the next window will let you open System Report. There you can get your Mac’s model identifier, amount of memory, storage, etc. Your model identifier (for example my Mac’s model ID is Mac13,1) will make it easier to trace it’s model’s history.

Reaction score
Thanks! It says: Model Name: iMac; Model Identifier: iMac5,1; Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo; Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz; Number of Processors: 1; Total Number of Cores: 2; L2 Cache: 4 MB; Memory: 2 GB; Bus Speed: 667 MHz; Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09; SMC Version (System): 1.9f4 ... any of this help?

Reaction score
Thanks! It says: Model Name: iMac; Model Identifier: iMac5,1; Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo; Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz; Number of Processors: 1; Total Number of Cores: 2; L2 Cache: 4 MB; Memory: 2 GB; Bus Speed: 667 MHz; Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09; SMC Version (System): 1.9f4 ... any of this help?
iMac5,1 is either the 17" or 20" late 2006 model. You should have the 20" because of the 2.16 GHz processor.

Maximum OS is Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion). You may have lucked out because that’s the oldest version of OS X that Apple offers up for download.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm happy to know I can upgrade to Lion, now I just need to get it from a reputable place I guess. I've ordered it twice from Amazon. The first one said 'damaged cd' as soon as I put it into the computer; the second one wouldn't show up on the desktop at all. I gave up. I'll look again. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm happy to know I can upgrade to Lion, now I just need to get it from a reputable place I guess. I've ordered it twice from Amazon. The first one said 'damaged cd' as soon as I put it into the computer; the second one wouldn't show up on the desktop at all. I gave up. I'll look again. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
You should be able to download it from the link in my previous reply. As long as you have the App Store app installed (access from  menu), the link will automatically open App Store and go to the Lion page. Just click on GET and the download should start.

Reaction score
Apple doesn’t charge for its operating systems so you shouldn’t have to pay for it on Amazon. I would also be concerned about the security implications of getting an OS copy from someone other than Apple. I would download from Apple as Tony suggested.

Reaction score
You should be able to download it from the link in my previous reply. As long as you have the App Store app installed (access from  menu), the link will automatically open App Store and go to the Lion page. Just click on GET and the download should start.
this is an old desktop computer, there are no apps, LOL; I tried downloading it from the site three times, all I get when I open the dmg is an install package that doesn't do anything. Thank you so much, but I've given up. Got another question though, do you know of any way to fix: 'Your clock is ahead. A private connection can't be established because your computer's date and time are incorrect.' ... I've done everything I can think of to my date and time, and nothing is helping, it's extremely frustrating.

Reaction score
Apple doesn’t charge for its operating systems so you shouldn’t have to pay for it on Amazon. I would also be concerned about the security implications of getting an OS copy from someone other than Apple. I would download from Apple as Tony suggested.
I tried, it's not working for me. I think this computer is just too old. I get the dmg; open it; get an icon that says it's the Lion Install, but when I click on it all that's in there is an installation pkg and when I click it, it tells me it's going to install a program to see if I can install Lion. When that program is done installing ... there has been zero change. I'm sorry y'all, obviously I'm just not smart enough to do this, LOL

Reaction score
I am sure you are plenty smart, just letting you know so you don’t have to spend $ you don’t need to.

Reaction score
I am sure you are plenty smart, just letting you know so you don’t have to spend $ you don’t need to.
No. No. I'm really not, LOL. I used to be a graphic designer, back when magazines were printed on paper. Heck, I'm not even sure if the programs I use still exist. I knew how to do that, I knew how to design advertisements, layout a magazine, I knew what the programs were for ... but I have never known anything on the technical side of a computer. My Mac is old, white, one piece, old like me .... but now all I do is play, and occasionally help grandkids with a poster or something, so it suits my needs just fine. I've been having trouble getting online, most sites tell me something is wrong with my clock, when there's nothing wrong; and my printer quit and the new one takes one system up from what I'm running. I tried the apple site, went to the download Lion page, downloaded the whole thing ... but no system shows up in the folder, just a package that says it's installed, but doesn't???, I don't know what else to try.

Reaction score
So I got bored today and went looking for information for downloading and installing Lion, and I found an article that said, you download and you'll get a file that says install package ... I did that; you click that and it says it's installing on your computer ... I did that; then it said you go to your applications folder and find Install Mac OSX Lion and click that ... oh joy and rapture IT WAS IN THERE, I CLICKED IT; then I clicked continue; then I clicked agree; then I clicked agree again; then I picked my hard drive and clicked install ... feelings of joy and happiness surging through me; I typed in my password and waited ... it began, the screen showed it, then a pop-up appeared and it read ... The software could not be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading. Everything stopped, went away, did not work. I am not trying not to cry, and have given up!!! I quit!!! I will turn this Mac into a lawn ornament before I try to do anything with it again!!! I'm done. Thanks everyone for all the help, and suggestions, and talking to me, but seriously... I Am Done.

Ask a Question