Can I remove Activation Lock from my MacBook Air?

Reaction score
Hello, I encountered a problem with my 2019 MacBook Air. Initially, everything was working fine after a clean install of Sonoma. However, this week when I attempted to clean install again using the 'Erase All Content and Settings' feature, I ran into an issue. The device automatically entered the Recovery Assistant, which displayed an activation lock with an unknown email that wasn't mine. This prevented me from booting from a bootable installer, and I couldn't bypass the activation lock.

Has anyone experienced this or have suggestions on how to resolve it? Thanks in advance for your help

Reaction score
You would need to know the email address used and the password for the AppleID that was used to lock your MacBook Air.

From what I understand, even Apple cannot bypass this.

If you are the original purchaser and you purchased the MacBook Air from Apple, and you have a copy of your original receipt then you may be able to bring it into a Genius Bar to see if anything can be done.

Reaction score
Why would you perform a "clean" instal a week after having already done it? Regardless, are you able to type in your email address into the box with the "unknown email that wasn't mine"? It may be just an example. If not the device is registered to another individual. That is, a previous owner who has not removed the device from their Apple account.

Reaction score
I will try this week to get to the shop that I bought the apple from. I keep the boxes so I everything should in its box. Thanks @MacsBug

I did a clean install because I felt like I did something wrong on the first one, and seems like I played myself. Thanks @Rodananne

Ask a Question