bootcamp partion image backups

Reaction score
Hi, I am about to buy a USB terabyte drive to help my daughter use bootcamp to create image backups of the partitions on her MacBook hard drive (one of the mac partion and one of the Windows 7 partiton). I also want to create a CD-rom rescue disk using the mac utility that is built in (I forget the name of it since I don't have a mac machine).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Reaction score
Actually I came up with a question. Am I correct in assuming the USB backup drive should be formatted for regular Mac file backups rather than Windows 7 file backups? My assumption is that bootcamp would want to write these compressed partition backups in a file file format for Mac since bootcamp comes with the Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long for us to get back to you.

Time Machine will not backup the Boot Camp partition. You would need a third-party solution such as Winclone.

Did you mean a Windows rescue disk?

C

Reaction score
We do this we got a 1 terabyte drive, formatted it for mac and followed the two procedures below.

How to backup your windows partion with bootcamp

For the mac partition we modified the external 1 terabyte drive to have two partions and used superduper.
I gather it creates a bootable copy without compression. My assumption is to return these we would have to boot to that external then run the same process in reverse that we used to create it. So basically create the bootable back on the mac machine.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Correct about SuperDuper! creating a bootable copy without compression. To restore, you could clone it back as you did previously, or install OS X and then run Migration Assistant.

If the Boot Camp backup in the video works, then you should be god to go.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory. I am use to Acronis for Windows where it loads its own operating system and has complete control of the C drive and the external drive for both the backup and the restore. So this Mac approach had me thinking for sure. It is nice to hear some comments suggesting we did okay because never having done the full cycle of backup and restore a few times I was not 100% sure we did it correctly. So thanks again. John

Ask a Question