Bonehead Video Question

Reaction score
I have a wifi streaming device I got for free from Xfinity that I can output via USB by means of an adapter. How do I display this on Mac OS? It's intended to plug directly into a TV set via HDMI, but I use a monitor for video from the computer and send the computer sound separately from the audio out to a stereo receiver, streaming with a browser in fullscreen. I thought I'd convert the streaming device output to USB, send to the computer, and view on an app the same way I view streaming content on a browser. But what to use to play the device output? Will VLC do this? Something better? Sound crazy? I don't have any TV sets lying around.

Reaction score
As with most, if not all streaming devices, I'm guessing that the device is designed to connect to a TV via HDMI, so won't work using USB(how were you thinking of converting it to USB?) and a computer.

Reaction score
OK, but I think that they are designed to operate to send a signal from a computer via the adaptor and HDMI cable to a device rather than the opposite way round. But, I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Yes, quite right. My computer handles all audio and video for me, recording and playing OTA, streaming, and so on. I send one audio cable to a distant audio receiver and video via HDMI to a distant monitor that has one HDMI input, no sound out. I thought I would try and use this streaming box as a peripheral for the computer, a video source like my standalone OTA tuner. It should give me an audio/video signal on USB. Seems like I could play it with something. I'm just tinkering.

Reaction score
Results of the experiment: With the video capture dongle, it was possible to get VLC Player to open the streaming box as a USB camera. However, attempting to do so caused the wireless mouse to freeze, and required restarting more than once. When VLC did succeed in displaying output from the box after several tries, picture quality was poor and jerky and froze. Sound was MIA although VLC saw an audio source, and the device responded very sluggishly to its remote, if at all. This was in High Sierra 10.13.6. Quick Time Player was able to display video once, but thereafter could not see the device. A savvy and patient person might be able to get this working. It would probably work OK connected by HDMI directly to a TV as intended. It doesn't offer a lot I can't get through EyeTV and over-the-air, plus regular streaming modes. Curiosity satisfied.

Ask a Question