Video format converters.

Reaction score
Im trying to import old family DVD's into iMovie to edit on my iMac (OS 10.13.6). The DVD's are VOB files. Could anyone offer advice on how I convert to a suitable iMovie format without having to pay £30 or £40 for a converter? Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Do these DVDs play in a standard DVD player, or with the DVD Player on your iMac?
-Are you just trying to copy them to your computer to play them, or are you looking to edit them with iMovie?

C

Reaction score
They are home movie family DVDs I ripped from VHS tape years ago using a windows pc and an honestech interface. I want to put them into iMovie to edit and add subtitles using keynote. They open automatically with iDVD but not with iMovie.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

If they play in a standard DVD player, you may be able to use something like Handbrake to "rip" them to a video file that could be imported into iMovie. If they don't play in a standard DVD player, or the DVD Player app, it may be very difficult to convert them without paying for some conversion software, which may not work depending on the actual format of the discs.

C

Reaction score
By way of an update which perhaps might help others. I have solved my problem by
1. Creating a DVD.cdr in Disk Utility
2. Converting the above to .m4v using Handbrake.
The result imports into iMovie.

Ask a Question