SOLVED Back up HD failed what can I do?

Reaction score
I have a 21.5" iMac (Late 2015) HD backup died - can I use a SanDisk 1TB SSD as an external backup. Is the SanDisk cable compatable with my iMac?

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me Cory. I am looking at a SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD (on Amazon). up to 1050MB/s - USB-C, USB 3.2 Gen 2 - External Solid State Drive - SDSSDE61-1T00-G25 Hope this helps, I had difficulty getting a link.

Reaction score
Cory,
Thank you so much for your input . . . I can live with "overkill".
JAS

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

As I mentioned, that SSD may/may not be backwards compatible with USB 3.1, but it does have a USB-C to USB adapter included, so that may allow ot to work.

Good luck!

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...

Let us know how it goes.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours as well!

C

Reaction score
I have a similar question. I had a conversation with Apple support regarding updating to Big Sur and the tech mentioned that the hybrid HD in my 2015 mac is failure prone and on borrowed time. He also said Apple will not replace the internal HD.
So…. Can I just transfer everything to an external SSD, boot from that and just ignore the internal drive?

Ask a Question