Back up drives won't accept DVD files

Reaction score
After living without a back up for 5 years, I am relieved to have finally have one. (actually now 3 external hard drives (100 GB Maxtor, 200 GB Combo, and 1 T Hitachi) I am trying to store 45 GB of pictures from 10 DVDs to one of the external hard drives. When I put one of the DVDs in my IMac with operating system 10.4.11, it puts it on my desktop and I can open it and look at the pictures. When I try to drag and drop it on one of the external backup drives, all it does is drop an Icon with a few misc. files, but no pictures--only about 64KB of information. It won't let me copy and paste the pictures to the back up. I can copy and paste the pictures to an iphoto folder, but I don't want them on my main computer hard drive. I have tried booting as a different entity, but that didn't make any difference. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
After living without a back up for 5 years, I am relieved to have finally have one. (actually now 3 external hard drives (100 GB Maxtor, 200 GB Combo, and 1 T Hitachi) I am trying to store 45 GB of pictures from 10 DVDs to one of the external hard drives. When I put one of the DVDs in my IMac with operating system 10.4.11, it puts it on my desktop and I can open it and look at the pictures. When I try to drag and drop it on one of the external backup drives, all it does is drop an Icon with a few misc. files, but no pictures--only about 64KB of information. It won't let me copy and paste the pictures to the back up. I can copy and paste the pictures to an iphoto folder, but I don't want them on my main computer hard drive. I have tried booting as a different entity, but that didn't make any difference. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

If you are looking at the files as they reside on the DVD then you need to drag & drop from your DVD to your Desktop THEN drag & drop to your external drive/s ...

Reaction score
You can just make a folder on the HD,
select the files on the DVD,
Drag and Drop them directly to the Folder.

Not Drag and Drop the DVD Icon.

Ask a Question