authentication failure

Reaction score
I cannot connect to the internet with s speedtouch USB modem, I had an account, which was fine, but then started using my mothers account which is where the problems began.
I have tried changing the account name and password numerous times, the account name will change but the password always seems to revert to a former one, at least when it tries to connect it ignores the new password and looks like it is putting in an old one.
Are there some settings saved in the library or something which are overiding whatever I try and put in? I think this happened a long time ago and I had to delete a file in the library but I cannot remember how or even if it is a figment of my imagination.
Help
Running a G4 Powerbook with OSX 10.3.9 and using a speedtouch 330

Reaction score
My Dad is having the same problem. It looks like the password is changed as soon as "Apply Now" is clicked in the modem setup window. I tried everything I know, but still get the old "Authentication Failed" message.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi confusedjules & kloudnein,

confusedjules, do you use a PPPoA connection or a PPPoE connection?

kloudnein, do you also have issues with the same SpeedTouch model as confusedjules and if so, have you seen this and does it affect you?

NOTE: The ST-330 and ST-USB driver does not support Intel based Apple Macs. For Intel based Macs we recommend using an Ethernet modem/router.

Reaction score
My Dad is using dial-up with iMac (slot-loading 450Mhz PPC model) internal V90 modem. It has worked fine until recently. ISP account is still open - I signed on to it from my computer at home. It looks like the password is being changed by the computer when "Apply Now" is clicked in Network Preferences, but maybe not, because I was told that the number of "bullets" displayed does not necessarily match the number of characters in the password as a security precaution. I have reset and re-entered the password & username several times and even added them as a "new location", but the "authentication failed" message still comes up. Disconnects immediately after connecting.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What OS is your Dad running, kloudnein?

You're right about the Password "Bullets" .... it's a security precaution not to display the relevant amount of bullets as this would make it *easier* to hack a password.

I'm not 100% sure about this but check that Web Proxy (HTTPS) isn't enabled. It is found under System Preferences / Network / Proxies. If it has a check in the box, uncheck it, restart and see if there's any joy. Check the Firewall settings and do you know if Little Snitch is installed and running?

Here are a couple of links regarding modem configuration:

Check Dialup Settings - Macintosh OS X

Check Dialup Settings - Mac OS 8 - 9

I personally would contact my ISP and have them walk me through the connection process just to make sure things are set up properly ... and I've had to do this once or twice, believe me.

Ask a Question