Windows/Mac Sharing "Held for Authentication"

Reaction score
Hi

I have an issue with sharing printers from a Windows 2008 server to MAC clients (all 10.8+).
The MAC clients are all bound to a MAC server, but all users are AD members with sufficient rights (and identical usernames).
According to Apple, all Windows shares should be accessible by the MAC users, using SMB based shares. However, I get a "Held for Authentication" message when printing, if I add the printer using a bound account (Keychained).
If I use a local account on the MAC, they will add correctly, but this isn't feasible as there are too many client machines to add a local account to.
Is there an lpadmin command or similar I can use to enable users to enable network authentication (rather than local users) to bypass this?
I apologise if some of my terminology is 'off'. My MAC knowledge is limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sean

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How are the Macs bound to a Mac Server?
-Have you tried binding the Macs to AD?

C

Ask a Question