Attempting to initialize target disc mode

Reaction score
im currently attempting to connect a macbook with a broken LCD screen to my other working macbook & access the one w the broken screen via target disc mode. i purchased a thunderbolt cable and am able to connect the two computers, but the problem im having is that when i try to shut off the mac with the broken screen in order to start it back up in target disc mode, it appears as if it's refusing to shut down. i tried holding down the power button, and also tried holding down the power button whilst holding down the command & control button, but after letting go of the power button, waiting for a bit & then pressing the power button again to see if the computer has turned off & will turn back on again, the screen lights back up but i dont hear the chime of the mac starting up, implying that it never successfully shut down. ive been waiting for the battery to run itself out for two days now but every time i touch the power button briefly the screen lights right back up with no startup chime. i need to access the files urgently. any help would be highly appreciated, thank you

Reaction score
im currently attempting to connect a macbook with a broken LCD screen to my other working macbook & access the one w the broken screen via target disc mode. i purchased a thunderbolt cable and am able to connect the two computers, but the problem im having is that when i try to shut off the mac with the broken screen in order to start it back up in target disc mode, it appears as if it's refusing to shut down. i tried holding down the power button, and also tried holding down the power button whilst holding down the command & control button, but after letting go of the power button, waiting for a bit & then pressing the power button again to see if the computer has turned off & will turn back on again, the screen lights back up but i dont hear the chime of the mac starting up, implying that it never successfully shut down. ive been waiting for the battery to run itself out for two days now but every time i touch the power button briefly the screen lights right back up with no startup chime. i need to access the files urgently. any help would be highly appreciated, thank you
I’m not clear on your procedure exactly, but as I remember starting in Target Disk Mode, you need to shut down the Mac, and without anything connected to it, press the power button while holding down the T key. Normally, if you have a functioning screen, you will see the TDM icon floating on the screen. Nevertheless, even without an image on the screen, connect it to the other Mac (already running) and see if your first Mac shows up as an external drive. That should be it.

To disconnect, press the power button of the target disk Mac until it shuts down.

Ask a Question