MAC disc initialize on a Windows Machine – Data gone?

Reaction score
Looking for some help regarding a Mac HDD.

Got a Mac G4 that has a cracked screen. Have loads of data on the HDD (I have not backed it up for a while, a mistake I know!) which I would very much like back. Taken the HDD out and plugged it into a USB Caddy. Plugged it into a Windows 7 machine and a message, “You must initialize*the*disk before Logical Disk*Manager can access it,” came up. With out thinking too much I clicked initialize and then after a couple of seconds the message to saying that the drive must be formatted came up – it was at this point I realised that I had just made a big error.

What is the best way to get the data from the disc...? Have I deleted data with initializing the disc? Can I undo the change?

I would be very thankful for any help.

Reaction score
Have I deleted data with initializing the disc?
Yes.

Can I undo the change?
Windows did this, you will need to find a Windows answer, sorry I can't help you. There maybe be software that can recover files, but because the drive wasn't in Windows format I really doubt it.

Ask a Question