Apps need update, says must download older version but does nothing

Reaction score
It says “the latest version is not compatible with your OS would you like to download an older version?” I click download and it just pops back up with the same question over and over like 5 times. For several apps including logic pro
What can I do?
11.7.8 2018 mini

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Looks like you are running macOS 11.7.8 Big Sur, correct? If so, the latest version of Big Sur is 11.7.10. You may need to update to that version, or install a new version of macOS like Monterey or Ventura.

The latest version of Logic Pro is 10.8.1, which requires a minimum of macOS 13. 5 Ventura or later.

You could also try logging out of the App Store, restart your mini, log back into the App Store and see if that resolves the loop issue.

C

Reaction score
The 2018 Mac mini should be able to run the latest version of macOS. What app are you trying to update? Logic Pro 10.8.1 is compatible with Sonoma. The current version of Sonoma is 14.3.1 (23D60).

Reaction score
Hello,

Looks like you are running macOS 11.7.8 Big Sur, correct? If so, the latest version of Big Sur is 11.7.10. You may need to update to that version, or install a new version of macOS like Monterey or Ventura.

The latest version of Logic Pro is 10.8.1, which requires a minimum of macOS 13. 5 Ventura or later.

You could also try logging out of the App Store, restart your mini, log back into the App Store and see if that resolves the loop issue.

C
Due to compatibility issues I’m not looking to update past Big Sur yet. I’ll try 11.7.10

Regrading logic yes 10.8 requires that but I have an update available in between that I should be able to use. My system says it’s available for me.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I figured you may be wanting to stay in Big Sur.

Try the update to 11.7.1o, and also signing out and back into the App Store.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I figured you may be wanting to stay in Big Sur.

Try the update to 11.7.1o, and also signing out and back into the App Store.

Let us know how it goes.

C
What an unbelievably frustrating process this has been. Couldnt update a signle thing because of 70GB of OTHER storage. After way too much effort finally getting that sorted (wtf Apple, c'mon) I can finally download 11.7.1. I do that and after first attempt to install says. I dont have enough space. Back to the joys of my Other storage. Finally make enough room and then (its entirely hidden where that Os update downloaded to) I find it under the tiny "more info" link in the software update menu. Click and I get this "current software update was cancelled due to another process starting a new operation. try later... An error occured while downloading. try again. " Cant download again because storage is now full.

Reaction score
If I were you I would try this: Boot into Safe Mode. The goal is to free up as much disk space as possible so hopefully, with minimal load, you will have enough free space. Now you must download macOS Big Sur without triggering an automatic update which could use up much of the free space you now have.

Instead, download the installer manually. Still in Safe Mode, launch Terminal and enter the following command:

softwareupdate --list-full-installers

I’m assuming you still have internet connection. A list of macOS versions should come up, all that are compatible with your Mac. (I can’t bring up Big Sur on my Studio because in will not run Big Sur.)

If the list loads and Big Sur is on the list, now enter the following command:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.7.1

and hit return and enter your password, assuming Big Sur 11.7.1 is on the list. It should now start downloading the installer into your Applications folder. 11.7.1 should be a shade under 13 Gigs, so check your available disk space first. When it’s done, it will not install automatically. First make a copy of the installer (“Install macOS Big Sur.app”) to an external drive, for future use.

Then you can either reboot, still into Safe Mode, or straightaway launch the installer from the Applications folder without bothering to reboot. The important thing is to perform the installation in Safe Mode, and if successful, address the other issues from, at least, a fresh installation of macOS. Good luck.

Ask a Question