AppleScript Help needed...

Reaction score
Apologies if this is an area that's been covered before.

I work in a graphic design studio with an Xserve as our main server and a number of G5s and newer Intel iMacs. I want to create a quick applescript to connect to the server automatically when I start my machine in the morning, and then customise it so that everyone else in the studio can have it on their machine as well.

I've had a quick poke around with the Script Editor but quite quickly got stuck.

Thanks!

sketch

Reaction score
I've got the same kind of thing running at my office. We have 4 different volumes that all need to be mounted on startup... It's a fairly simple Applescript... I have all my users have it as a start up item and also keep it in their dock in case of disconnects.

tell application "Finder"
mount volume "afp://username:password@IPaddress/volumename"
end tell

just open script editor, copy and paste this into it, and fill in your specific info
Then compile it and save as an application.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi all,

you can also make an alias of the Server and then add it into the login items on each Mac.

Mount each volume...Then open System Prefs-->Accounts and drag the disk icon to the Login items pane...

Auto_login.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I don't know if connecting to an in-house server is different from connecting to your standard ISP host, but when I start my computer it auto-connects due to start up items such as mail.

You can configure this from the PPP options in systempref/network

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 430
Reaction score
Sure, you could make it a startup/login item, but what's the fun in that!?

I'd originally set up all our machines at the office with the servers as startup items, but we had several weirdnesses occur that convinced me to set them up differently. (We connect to our local servers via TCP/IP.)

1-Start up items would "forget" what the drives were (as in "kind" would be "unknown") and would therefore not connect on start up.

2-Connections to the server would be dropped and under "Connect to Server" in the "Go" menu, the servers we'd need to connect to were grayed out, which is how they would look when you're already connected.

These problems could very well be a symptom of a different problem on our network, but for us, the Applescript solution works quite well, and in fact is the only thing that works consistently on all the computers.

Ric

Reaction score
I know what you mean ;-)

The login items is a bit hit and miss sometimes, I'm sure the AppleScript is the best bet.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
seems to work perfectly - have to hit enter a couple of times but at least I won't forget to connect to the server.

Reaction score
hmmm - I put it in the startup items folder but it doesn't seem to be running when I restart the machine... all I've done is dragged 'n' dropped it into the folder - is there something else I need to do?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Instead of putting it into the startup items folder...go to system prefs-->accounts and add it into the login items.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
that's what I was missing ric.

many thanks all, works great - already spread it around the studio!

cheers
sketch

Ask a Question