Help - How Do I Use Applescript To Launch A Program After....

Reaction score
Hi - i have a query that i am hoping all you smarter, more experienced and friendly MacUsers out there might be able to help me with!
I am a photographer trying to automate some of my work flow, so far i have written a simple Automator script allowing me to transfer new files from a card reader to where i store them on my external hard drive etc. The problem i have is that i have to tell Automator to do this and which script to run, and i was hoping to get hold of a simple a Applescript that can make this happen for me as soon as i connect a card reader. I basically want to automate the Automater (oh the irony)
Is this plausible or am i talking bollocks? Please be aware -i am still newish to using Macs and not the most gifted/experienced of users.
Maybe there is another really simple way of doing it i havn't yet discovered!
If it helps i am running a Mac Pro, dual-core Intel-Xeon, 2.66GHz, 2GB 667MHz, DDR2 with OSX 10.4.9.
Can you help??? THANKYOU!
Bill

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Bill and welcome !

In your Applications folder is an App called Image Capture, you can use this to 'run' any Application once a camera is connected...

So save the Automator workflow as an Application and then assign this to run when a camera is connected.

I haven't got a card reader handy to test this...but this will work if you connect your camera directly.

Give it a go and see if it works. If you are not sure of any of the steps let me know.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
ok -that makes sense (i think!) but i still have to use a program i don't normally ever use and tell it to run a script (image capture). Is this the only way it can be done? i have saved the Automator script i have written (as an app) and can email it to you if you want to see what i am trying to do.
Ideally, i want my Mac to recognise i have connected a card reader and automate the file transfers to my hard drive, the open up Adobe Bridge, Toast etc etc.
I know this makes me sound like the laziest sod on the earth, but doesn't the solution you offered involve doing as much as starting Automator and running a script? If i'm using Automator or Image capture, i still have to start the program and run a script and this is the bit i am trying to get around.
When i used to use Windows XP, on connecting a card reader, Windows would offer you several options and remember which one you chose if you wanted it to. I was hoping to go one step beyond (if possible) and automate file transfers as soon as a card reader is attached.
NB - file transfer from a camera is much slower than a card reader, especially when you use a 17megapixel camera on RAW and fill up 4 4gB cards per shoot! Hence my need for automation!
Thanks so far Rik, you seem like the man who can!
Bill

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Image Capture is one way of doing this...

Have a look at the movie here.

If you post your 'exact' workflow that you want to do, I'll see what I can fit in !

All of my Compact flash cards are given the same name by my camera (30D) so the workflow above 'works'.

If you watch the movie...I have inserted the camera card at the beginning to get the name. Then in Automator tell it to get the contents of that folder (even though it is a disk etc) then copy to the location of choice.

From there you can add on whatever else you want to do.

By all means send the workflow via (e-mail address removed)...

Hmmm a 17megapixel RAW file...sounds like someone has a nice camera ! (Mark II ?)

regards

Ric

Quicktime Video is compressing I'll post link in about an hour!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the email. I have the attachment.

For those who are following this, Bill's workflow is as follows:-

1) New Folder (Called Today's Shoot)

2) Find Finder Items (all image files in EOS Digital [this is the camera card])

3) Copy Finder Items

4) Launch Application (Bridge)

5) Launch Application (Toast)

First thing I can see on your workflow is that you have "Show when Run" ticked on a couple of the actions...if this isn't intentional then turn it off otherwise it will not work without intervention.

Secondly, I need to get a better idea of what you want it to do...

As I see it...

1) Insert Card

2) Auto import images from card to a folder of your choosing

3) Open Bridge

4) Open Toast

It's stage 3 that I'm not sure what you want to do...

If I read it correctly you want to take the files from the days shoot copy them to a folder of your choice...then have them burnt to a CD/DVD automatically.

I'm not exactly sure where Bridge fits into this...just to view the folder afterwards?

Does it have to be Toast for any reason ? Or would burning them via the Finder be okay ?

regards

Ric

Link is now working !!!

Reaction score
wow -you know your stuff sir!
the movie helps explain alot -thankyou. i use Bridge to edit and tweak the RAW file before preparing a JPEG edit to send to my clients (via Toast) - i could use Finder to burn but i had no idea i could burn with it -is it as easy and quick as Toast?.
so my workflow will be as you have set it up:

1) Insert Card

2) Auto import images from card to a folder of your choosing

3) Open Bridge

4) Open Toast

Do i still have to have Automator and/or Image Capture open and running for this whole process to work?
If so, where/how on my Mac can i go to automatically start certain programs when i boot up?
Many thanks again -i'll be recommending this website to everyone i know with a Mac who needs any kind of help.
YOU'RE A DOOD SIR! (and i love your funky home-made lightbox!)
regards Bill

Reaction score
ok -i've repeated what you did on the movie and added the odd small step (folder creation/change of location etc) -it works perfectly!
Thank again Ric -this is now a powerful tool in my arsenal. i would recommend doing this to any professional who has large amounts of images/files to use/move/copy/tweak/whatever!
Many thanks again.
Bill

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

glad it's working for you now.

I'll put a few more tutorials (ie burning in Finder) up later.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question