Apple Load Loop, Can't enter safe mode

Reaction score
Hi all,

I upgraded my 2020 Imac OS and when it was installing it got stuck in an apple logo load loop. It gets about a quarter of the way and then starts over, after a few attempts at that it just shuts off. I took it to apple and they put different RAM in and they said they got it to load up to the user screen. I have 3rd party RAM in it so I decided I would put in the default RAM at home and I can finish the OS install and then add my 3rd party RAM back in. When I got home and put the computers default RAM, still the same issue. Ive tried different RAM configurations and nothing works. I also, cant startup in safe mode or recovery mode. Anyone know what to do?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I upgraded my 2020 Imac OS and when it was installing it got stuck in an apple logo load loop. It gets about a quarter of the way and then starts over, after a few attempts at that it just shuts off. I took it to apple and they put different RAM in and they said they got it to load up to the user screen. I have 3rd party RAM in it so I decided I would put in the default RAM at home and I can finish the OS install and then add my 3rd party RAM back in. When I got home and put the computers default RAM, still the same issue. Ive tried different RAM configurations and nothing works. I also, cant startup in safe mode or recovery mode. Anyone know what to do?
For this sort of troubleshooting, yes, it’s best to install the factory RAM modules. First thing to try is resetting the SMC. The procedure for that model, I believe, is to unplug the AC power cord. Wait about half a minute, plug it back in, wait about 10 seconds, and then press the power button. Might as well do a PRAM reset by immediately holding down ⌘-⌥-P-R and wait for the startup chime to sound twice before releasing. After releasing, hold down the Shift key to enter Safe Mode.

While avoiding Recovery mode to install macOS, see if you can download the installer file from the App Store. Search for “macos ventura” and it should send you to that macOS entry. Click to go there, and click on GET to start the download.

If you don’t wish to install Ventura, you can search for “macos monterey” the same way. Your iMac came with Catalina, but you probably don’t want to go back there.

Ask a Question