Apple Id's

Reaction score
Hello everyone, here is my situation. More of a dilemma than a problem. Both my wife and daughter share the same apple id. They both have purchased music with it and use it on their respective devices which up until now were just iPods. They both have their own laptops which they have their own iTunes on and use home sharing. Both of them got iPhones for Christmas. Now the apple id thing is getting complicated. I know the music my daughter bought under my wife's account can never be transferred, but I think the way to go is to create a new account for my daughter and she can start moving forward buying stuff under her own name.
Issue 1: daughters iPod touch has apps that she purchased and wants to keep on the iPod
Issue 2: can only seem to have one instance of iTunes and id on a computer
Issue 3: daughters iPhone is having problems with texting which may or may not have anything to do with the Id

In retrospect, I should have started my daughter with her own id from the get go. Just didn't see the proliferation of apple devices coming. Any thoughts on how I should proceed would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Just didn't see the proliferation of apple devices coming.

The simplest and straightforward way is to give your daughter her Own User Account on the computer with her own AppleID. This will ensure you don't have a lot more problems later. You can move her "content" into her Login and she can load it from there. As it was purchased on your wife's account all you need to do is Store > Authorise it in iTunes, then it will load into the iThings and play locally. This way you keep things separate and when your daughter gets her own computer you can just Migrate her Account. Very Easy!

I went through this with my 2 youngest and 3 years after they have left home I'm still trying to untangle our iTunes accounts. The sooner the better...

Ask a Question