All programs randomly quitting

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In the past couple days I've been having a problem with my programs shutting down. I've used AppleWorks, Safari, MSN Messenger, iPhoto, iTunes, and each time they will shut down once in awhile, with no warning. (This was especially disruptive as I was working on a project on AppleWorks).

The only thing I can think of as to why this is happening is that I downloaded the demo for iWork 08 (without realizing I had the copy that came on my Macbook).

Also, I've been getting an "Alerts Daemon" which I believe has to do with Microsoft Messenger?

And I recently went to use Spotlight and it was all fuzzy and choppy. I also can't seem to use the "zoom" button on the screen.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Bflywings

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In the past couple days I've been having a problem with my programs shutting down. I've used AppleWorks, Safari, MSN Messenger, iPhoto, iTunes, and each time they will shut down once in awhile, with no warning. (This was especially disruptive as I was working on a project on AppleWorks).

The only thing I can think of as to why this is happening is that I downloaded the demo for iWork 08 (without realizing I had the copy that came on my Macbook).

Also, I've been getting an "Alerts Daemon" which I believe has to do with Microsoft Messenger?

And I recently went to use Spotlight and it was all fuzzy and choppy. I also can't seem to use the "zoom" button on the screen.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Bflywings
Hello, it sounds like it could be some bad fonts. Have you checked out your Font Book app? First, you might want to repair permissions. :)

Reaction score
It seems this morning that everything's working fine. For the zoom, I had to turn it off and on again which seemed to correct the problem.

But how do I repair permissions?

Reaction score
It seems this morning that everything's working fine. For the zoom, I had to turn it off and on again which seemed to correct the problem.

But how do I repair permissions?

I'm glad everything is working fine today. When you have multiple applications quitting, that's usually a sign of trouble.
To repair permissions:

Open Disk Utility, located at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
Select your startup disk on the left of the Disk Utility window
Select "First Aid" from the tabs if not already selected
Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button

Ask a Question