All of a sudden I have lots of purgeable memory.

Reaction score
Finder shows my Fusion drive on Catalina to have free memory 331.6 GB (316.61 GB purgeable), and used 1,096,684,511,232 bytes (1.1 TB on disk). My trash is empty, I have turned off my iMac and turned it on again, I have ran disk utility'd disk repair. In the image that follows, I can see "About This Mac"/storage with 332.12 GB free, but Disk Utility shows I have 332.12 GB (317.14 GB purgeable), and 1.09 TB used. Earlier in the week, Disk Utility showed lots of free space. My iMac's slow like it doesn't have free space. I ran a Malwarebytes scan. Where should I look next?

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 1.51.01 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your mac will use the purgeable space when it needs to, as space runs low.
You can clear this space with 'Clean my Mac' or 'Disk Drill' but it should not be necessary.
If you go to About this Mac > Storage > Manage > Reduce Clutter > Review files, you can clear some content from there.

Reaction score
I agree with Lufbrarunner
You can also uninstall some software as they takes up a lot of space on Mac,that's what i did,8.6GB of space on Mac was free up.

Reaction score
The purgeable memory went away on its own. I don't know why. Maybe it was used by Time Machine.
A tool called CCleaner and Safewiper,they are designed to clean up the device (Free up space by delete something) for people who use Macs,i have not used the CCleaner,i just used Safewiper on my Mac,i used it to delete some useless files and uninstall 6 software. It did a great job.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Personally, I am not a fan of these types of software. I prefer to clean out files and applications manually. I am not familiar with either CCleaner or Safe Wiper, but many of the automated cleaning utilities are more trouble than they are worth. Not saying that these two are, just my $.02.

C

Ask a Question