All files suddenly disappeared after using CleanMyMac X

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Yesterday I opened my computer after a day out and I noticed that my entire desktop was wiped out from files and folders. Every file that I had cannot be found via Finder or Spotlight, and I unfortunately do not have any complete iCloud Drive backup or TimeMachine.

This happened after using a pirated version of CleanMyMac (even though I’m not sure this is what caused the incident). Also, I used a Data Recovery software to scan for my files and they were all found.

Lastly, folders like “desktop”, “downloads”, “recents” etc. are impossible to open and a message saying I lack permission pops up at every attempt (I already tried to give myself permission but it doesn’t change the situation). Finally, it won’t let me download any type of file.

Anyone has any idea of what is going on? Should I bring my computer to some experts?

Thank you in advance guys.

Reaction score
I have used CLEAN MY MAC and had very serious problems.
I think that this is what I used several years ago and got a check ( MONEY) from a class action suit that was processed.

Reaction score
Unfortunately if you don't have a current backup of your data, I would recommend wiping your Mac and then set everything up from scratch.

Further, I would recommend changing any online passwords especially banking passwords.

There is a fake CleanMyMac X installer out there that is actually malware and it is designed to steal your info.

You can read more about it here: https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...eanmymac-installers-that-will-infect-your-mac.

You may also want to invest in a reliable Antivirus software package like BitDefender, Malwarebytes, or Intego VirusBarrier

Reaction score
In defence of CMM, my wife and I have been using this app on all our devices for years with no problems but like all such "cleaning" apps care needs to be taken with optional preferences and one should never use these types of apps without first doing a full backup.
As for pirated versions of any app, I would not even download it without a full backup first.

Ask a Question