Add memory?

Reaction score
First time using this forum, so bear with me all. My G4 will hold 2.0GB. I have 704Mb now with one open slot. If I fill that slot with 512MB. Will my computer run faster? It has been running slower over the past 6 months. I have a 30GB
Ultra ATA/66 (7200 rpm) hard drive. There is 17.31GB on the disk. Thanks. Alan

Reaction score
yes it will
more memory is always better
the mac uses the memory to store its info before writing it directly to the hd
when it uses virtual memory ( a part of the hd used as ram ) things go a lot slower it wil work but you wil have to wait

in short the more ram the faster and smoother things wil go

no you wil not get a higher clock speed your G4 wil not beat a G5 or an intel macintosh
but running alications wil be a lot smoother and stable

Reaction score
Thank you. That is the result I was hoping for. I can't afford a new Mac now and need to be happy with this one for another year or two.

Reaction score
your welcome
how ever do go to system profile and check hat kind of ram you have especially the numbers next to it are important this is the type and speed of ram you use
there are differnt kinds and sizes of ram
you dont want the wrong kind

Reaction score
Hope there's help for me out there...

Accdg. to my system profile, under memory, my iBook has these:
DIMMO/BUILT-IN- size 128MB; type Built-In; Speed: Built-in
DIMMI/J12 -size 128 MB; type SDRAM; speed PC133-333

General Info on my computer is:
Format: Mac Os Extended (journaled)
Capacity: 18.5 GB
Available: 1.1 GB
Used: 17.4 GB

Is there anyway I can increase the memory--- say by unistalling applications I am not using anymore?

Thanks.

Reaction score
If you uninstall programs or delete files you don't need, you'll free up space on the hard disk (getting more than 1.1 GB free), which of course is good in its own right though not the same effect as installing more memory (which requires buying some and opening the computer to install it, PC133 memory isn't too easy getting hold of these days though).

Both procedures seem (to me, but it depends on how you use the computer) quite needed for that system, 128 MB RAM is a bit low for OS X, and I believe it likes to have quite a bit free on the hard drive as well.

Reaction score
delete or back up your files now
1.1 gig is way to low os x uses a good chunk of hd space as virtual memory usually 1,5 gig
and with just 128 mb it wil use it more and more
also buy more ram anything is better then what you have now

Ask a Question