Acrobat & OS X Problems

Reaction score
Howdy all, I just got a brand new G-5 at work, needless to say still have to use the same old Software I have been using 'cause I wouldn't be compatible with everyone else if I upgraded. Anyway, I use Acrobat 5 constantly, but ever since the switch to the new machine the save as function is no longer working properly, I can only save as a PDF, and the settings button is greyed out. Did I miss an extension or preference in the switch over? Thanks.

Reaction score
Check to make sure you don't have the free Acrobat Reader, which is very limited in its capabilities, on your machine, only the full version (Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Standard). Acrobat Reader is something that often comes pre-installed, or is installed by other applications. When I set up new computers for my office one of the first things I do is toss Acrobat Reader (we use Acrobat Pro 6.0.2). You'll also want to click on a pdf file, and get info on it (File->Get info or command-i) and go to the "Open with:" and use the pull down menu to specifically choose your full version of Acrobat. If it's not already in the list, go down to "Other" and it'll let you browse your computer for the application you want to use. Once you've selected the full version of Acrobat to open with, click the "Change All…" button, which will then tell your computer to use that application for opening PDFs .

Reaction score
Well I removed every thing related to Acrobat Reader, and my Save as Format is still only coming up with PDF as the only option with the settings button greyed out. Thanks for the info though.

Reaction score
Hey I want to thank everyone, But I found the problem, Acrobat 5 hates opening up in OS X, with a few minor tweeks I got everything back into opening only in Classic mode, Again thanks.

Ask a Question