Abnormal space use on my SSD (50Go missing)

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a Macbook pro retina 13" with an SSD of 250Go capacity. I have been observing an abnormal use of my space. It appears that all my content only uses 89Go of space, although my computer says that 140Go is used.
Capture d’écran 2015-09-30 à 19.27.00.png

I checked with the software "Omnidisksweeper" (please see attached file). Can anybody tell me where did that 51Go go? And how could I get it back?

Furthermore, what is the folder called "private"?

Thank you very much!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It may not be showing all of the space used by all of the users, as their Library folders are hidden. You have to run OmniDiskSweeper as root to see ALL of the disk space taken by all files.

But, before doing that, I always recommend you have a current Time Machine or other backup. If you are not familiar with root, then I don't recommend you login to that account, as you have full access to the files. Also, the private folder is used by OS X, so don't delete anything in it, or any folder outside your User folder.

C

Ask a Question