A Solution for HP Printer Not Working

Reaction score
Hi - I recently spent 1.75 hours on the phone with an HP tech trying to figure out why my printer wouldn't work and I wanted to share the solution with everyone.

MyDeskjet F4180 no longer worked on my macbook pro running 10.4. It used to work fine, then suddenly wouldn't print files from my computer (the printer would start to print, and then stop after printing a few lines, and what it did print was very small text). It printed from the copier fine and when I ran the Print Test and Print Diagnostic from the HP Printer Utility, everything worked fine.

I uninstalled, re-installed the latest HP drivers twice but nothing changed.

With the HP guy on the phone, this was the last resort before he said I'd need to contact Apple:

When I re-installed the drivers for the final time, I had to hold down Control-Option-Command keys while I clicked "Install" (just until the pop-up came up that asked if I wanted to provide feedback later). This deleted the old drivers, which were corrupted, and then it worked like a charm.

I hope this works for you :)

Ask a Question