6 digit passcode?

Reaction score
hi, new here, and hope to be a useful contributor, at mo I have a problem after a crash/power shutdown on my 27" 09 iMac.
After it suddenly shut down, I now have a passcode requiring a 6 digit passcode, I've never set one, I bought it used, and have had it crash a few times, no warning just shut down, sometimes had a electrical power cut, but every time it's started fine.
This time its started with this 6 digit thing?
Any ideas what I can do to get it back in action?
Regards,
Ian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I believe that passcode may have been triggered by the crash. It sounds as if it is asking for an iCloud passcode to unlock your Mac.

-Which version of OS X?
-Did you setup your account to use allow the user to reset their password using Apple ID?

C

Reaction score
Hi, I'm running el capitain, I've not set up passcode as far as I know? Not set up for iCloud I don't think, it's crashed before but never ever then restarted and asked for a passcode?
So at mo I have an ibrick!
Ian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-What is the actual text that is requesting the password?
-Can you upload a picture of the screen?

C

Reaction score
It's a gray screen with apple logo, 6 white boxes above it says wrong passcode try again.
Below sleep restart, shut down icon
Ian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Is it similar to this:

fmm-locked.jpg

And, does it say This Mac will be erased remotely.?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...that is telling you it is locked by iCloud. Normally, that means the Mac's account had been setup with "Allow the user to reset their password using Apple ID." Or, the Mac was remotely locked using Find My Mac. Click that link to read more about it.

If neither of those are the case, it could have been caused by the crash/power shutdown. You have a couple of options:

-First - do you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Did you enable FileVault that you know of?
-If you have a backup, you could simply try 1 2 3 4 5 6 to see if that unlocks it, but hopefully that won't totally disable it.
-You can bring it to an Apple Store with proof of purchase for that Mac, and they should be able to unlock it - from what I understand.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hi not been set for find my Mac or reset password etc.
No fire vault option I know of?
123456 etc no go.
I have not got a receipt as purchased it used.
Can I still take it to an authorised Apple place? There is one called jigsaw24 in Nottingham.
Ian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You can take it there, but I believe only actual Apple Stores can use your proof of purchase to unlock it. Not sure what other options you may have available. Maybe the person your purchased it from had it setup with Find My Mac and never turned that off in their iCloud account. Can you contact them?

C

Reaction score
Seems strange it's done same thing before but never had this happen, the Notts place is an authorised Apple re seller, so looks like I will have to give them a call Monday
Ian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Definitely call them before bringing your Mac in to see if they can resolve the issue. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

C

Reaction score
Looks like bad news, called apple and auth dealer etc...on phone ages! Cut it short, Apple say firmware lock, they cannot do anything. Suggested new logic board, that's motherboard I guess? It's classed as vintage now! So no parts are made.
They also suggest a 3rd party repairer to see if they can access parts.
I've got to call a repair shop in Loughborough today.
One more question? If the hard drive is removed from my Mac, can it be transferred to another drive, (data that is) or will it still be locked oh hard drive?
Ian

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

I am not sure, as there have been several types of firmware locks over the years - some store in PRAM on the logic board, some in a special chip on the logic board, some on the hard drive, and some using your Apple ID/iCloud account. I do know that on some older Macs, you could power them off and remove one stick of RAM, power them on, and reset the firmware password. Newer Macs actually have a chip on the logic board that stores the firmware lock password. If you had FileVault activated, that is on the hard drive itself.

I wish I could help more and hope you find a reasonable solution,

C

Reaction score
Well it's been dropped off at a PC dude that has done work on our computers before, he says he can read the disk when he gets it out, he was a bit concerned about the large screen being damaged, but I said if breaks, so be it.
I'll keep my fingers crossed he can do it!

Reaction score
The news is bad, it's not showing any data on hd, ? Must be some apple type system that shows nothing?
Anyway I've an iMac doorstop at the mo.
Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I was afraid of that. It's due to the 6-digit encryption lock on the hard drive. There basically isn't any way around it. The only other thing to try would be a genuine Apple Store - but they will require proof of purchase as I mentioned previously.

Sorry I don't have any more ideas for you.

C

Ask a Question