2019 MacbookPro Thunderbolt Port Only Supplies Power

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 2019 16" MBP with the 2 Thunderbolt ports on each side. Several months ago, all of a sudden, the ports on the left side will only power the laptop. If I connect an external display, keyboard, DVD drive, or anything else to the left side, the OS never sees it. On the right side, I can connect anything and it works just fine. I have tried every recommended method of resetting the SMC to no avail. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a 2019 16" MBP with the 2 Thunderbolt ports on each side. Several months ago, all of a sudden, the ports on the left side will only power the laptop. If I connect an external display, keyboard, DVD drive, or anything else to the left side, the OS never sees it. On the right side, I can connect anything and it works just fine. I have tried every recommended method of resetting the SMC to no avail. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Have you tried running hardware diagnostics? Reboot and hold down the D key. Wait until the diagnostics window comes up. Hopefully it will detect only hardware problems in the system. If just holding down D on startup does not work, try command-D instead. If the built-in diagnostic file is damaged or missing, command-D will first download a disk image of the diagnostic tool and install it.

You need a wifi connection to do this.

Ask a Question