2009 iMac 27" - GPU downgrade to ATI 4670

Reaction score
Sadly, the GPU on my 27" iMac died this week :(, first bake worked, second... didn't.

Originally comes with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 - 512MB. There are no local parts, and I'm having a hard time finding a trustworthy provider online + decent price.

Just found a broken-same-year imac with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 - 256MB. It has the same shape and connectors, but I have no idea if it's compatible or not (it's a previous model). Coming from an individual, and not a tech, there is no way to "try it" unless I buy it and try myself.

Does anyone around here knows if this is worth trying? compatible? testimonials?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) did come with both graphics cards depending on the configuration:
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670 or Radeon HD 4850
Graphics Memory: 256 MB (Radeon HD 4670) or 512 MB (Radeon HD 4850) GDDR3

If the part you found is from a different iMac model/year, it may not fit correctly or be compatible. I personally haven't done any graphics card replacements other than the Apple OEM like for like part number.

Maybe another member with experience will chime in.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

The iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) did come with both graphics cards depending on the configuration:
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670 or Radeon HD 4850
Graphics Memory: 256 MB (Radeon HD 4670) or 512 MB (Radeon HD 4850) GDDR3

If the part you found is from a different iMac model/year, it may not fit correctly or be compatible. I personally haven't done any graphics card replacements other than the Apple OEM like for like part number.

Maybe another member with experience will chime in.

C
Thank you, this is encouraging.

Both gpus have the same size and connectors, naturally the 4670 has less memory, less power, and less chips, but sounds like a possibility, the only one I've found so far locally on a fully working computer. I hope someone could share some stories around this.

Ask a Question