10.5.4 won't boot after disc 1 installed

Reaction score
Hi

Am trying to install Leopard on an external seagate 500gb drive (in order to then install 10.6). Formatted it 1 partition mac os extended, GUID no problems . Let the disc verify itself - no probs installed disc one - success! THEN when i rebooted as instructed I got the grey screen and about 8 lines of command line code that I have no idea about. [panic] was in there somewhere.

As i didn't get any alerts while installing I would have thought everything should be fine. Do I need to start over? or is everything I've read about my external wrong and I need to find another option (external drive)?

tia

Reaction score
Hi,

Try this shut down the Mac then reboot holding down alt (option) this should allow you to select and boot from the hard drive.

Reaction score
Hey

Thanks for getting back. Done that already - or rather rebooted with 'C' to let me access startup disk on the native HD.

From there I've tried to reboot from the disk(external) that now has disk one installed but every time i get a freeze - and a message :

"panic (cpu 0 caller 0 x 00432EAB)
"Unable to find driver for this platform"

I thought i'd be able to boot from this (external) disk as the system folder has installed without any flagged problems and I'm presuming disk 2 is for all the other stuff that ships with. Im probably wrong like. The problem being I'm looking/waiting for that "insert disc 2" prompt to contiunue installation".

Reckon I'm gonna try reinstalling from scratch and take it from there. o_0

Reaction score
Sounds like this is not the right version for this model. Is it a full retail Version or has it come from a different Mac?

Reaction score
Hi

Yes full retail ver. discs came with the mac mini 2,1. but as I said I'm trying to install on a 3rd party external seagate drive as a boot drive. The disc verified and completed full installation of disc 1 then asked me to "have disc 2 ready" within a restart prompt dialogue.(not simply "insert disc 2 to continue installation" as I think is usual) I restarted as asked -that's when the problem arose.

Reaction score
Yes full retail ver. discs came with the mac mini 2,1
What? If they came with a Mac they are not a full retail version.

On what and where you are trying to install it makes no difference. Could be a 4th party flash drive.

One of the Drivers is not writing, faulty or wrong DVD. If its a driver verified won't show the problem.

Reaction score
ok, you'll have to forgive my assumption about having the full retail version :p

Is it possible to to use this disk on another compatible external ?or do I need to buy a new OS DVD?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If the discs (usually two) are grey and came with the Mac, then they are machine specific. If it is a single disc, white, and has a large X on it, it is a full retail version. If the discs came with the Mac you are trying to install on, did you buy it new?

If they are the grey discs that cam with the Mac you have the external HD connected to, then there shouldn't be a problem. If you are getting what sounds like a kernel panic, I would look into a possible RAM issue. Does the Mac have third-party RAM installed?

C

Reaction score
Yes bought the mac new, it came with the 2 grey discs and yes the external is attached to the same.

I did try the whole process again (erase, format install) and same thing happened. Also tried to simply clone the Mac HD onto said external with carbon copy (after verifying) and then got grey screen with the little circular start up circle for about 5 mins but then gave up as I had to go out. Came back to your reply (thanks)

As well as colonel panic I'm getting major bewildered. I've got an old Lacie firewire - do you think I should try installing on that to see if the seagate drive is the issue?

oh sorry, no, no ram installed, don't think you can. Is this the problem then - not enough?

Reaction score
Hi,

Just to clarify did you do the following in the same order, and did you partition with ( GUID)

1. Insert the OS X Leopard DVD into your Mac,
2. Open system preferences from the menu bar, select start up disks and then the OS X Leopard Install DVD.
3. Click the restart button to start the installation process
4. After your computer restarts continue through the introduction and agreement pages
5. The External Hard Drive won’t currently be an option for installation so you need to use Disk Utility to make some configuration changes. Select Utility from the Menu Bar to access Disk Utility.
6.Once Disk Utility opens, select the External Hard Drive you’d like to install Leopard onto and then Select Partition.
7. From here select 1 Partition and then click Options. To allow the Mac to boot from the external hard drive, the drive must be setup with a GUID Partition Table. Select GUID.
8.To make sure that you don’t mistake the External Drive for your normal Hard Drive, be sure to name the Volume something like “ Leopard”. Apply the changes and continue to the next step
9.Exit DisK Utility and the installation window will return asking which volume you’d like to install leopard onto.
10. Select the External Hard Drive that you partitioned with GUID (Named Leopard) to continue the installation. Follow the instruction until the installation is complete.

Reaction score
Hi again oldscribe,

No, I reformatted and partitioned (with GUID) from native HD then inserted DVD and rebooted using "C" but everything else the same (except 8. named the volume "badger" ;))

Reaction score
Re: 10.5.4 won't boot after disc 1 installed [SOLVED!]

oldscribe you're a star!

followed your instructions to format, partition and install all from the dvd (instead of partitioning the external from the OS on Mac HD and then inserting DVD and restaring, to install as another process) to success!

Really grateful, thanks

Ask a Question