zipping and reducing file size

Reaction score
my question is how to compress files to send (when i zip at the moment my file stays the same size, whats the point of zipping if it doesnt reduce file size?)
i am on a macbook pro running mac OSx10.5.8
thanks
Chris

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What type of files are you trying to compress ? ... Most large files are media files, such as audio, pictures, or video. Those are already compressed, so using ZIP won't make them much smaller. Files that can be compressed, such as text files, use such a small portion of modern, large, drives, that there is usually no point in bothering with compression.

Also, what size are your files?

Bear in mind that Disk drives are much larger than they were 10 years ago so zipping files could be seen as being a little out of date.

It's possible to create several .dmg files using Disc Utility ... you can break up one large file into smaller chunks and maybe that will suit your needs.

If you launch Disc Utility (Applications ~> Utilities Folder) and in the File menu choose "New" and in the Sub Menu you will see the choices ... "Blank Disc Image" or "Disc Image From Folder".

You will notice in the "Save" window there is an option to choose a range of sizes from a pull-down menu. There is also a "Custom" size so you can break down one large file over several .dmg's.

It is quite late here and I am tired so I can't test this out tonight ... I suggest you have a think about it and maybe see if you can get it to work for you ... I will have a look at it when I'm free tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for replying. i am trying to send a pdf (it is 8.5MB) but it wont send as i get too large for inbox warnings. I have the same problem with jpegs over 4MB in size. if i tried the .dmg thing how would the reciever open it? (they are not mac users)
thanks again

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
That's odd ... which Mail client are you using chriso? Mail.app? I just emailed a 17mb folder to myself without any problems ... mail.app even compressed the folder down to 9.2mb which I hadn't know it would do ...

Forget about the .dmg as like you say, your recipients are non-Mac users.

Might it be possible that the recipients inbox is too full? Is the warning you receive about your Mail program ... I'll wait til you tell me which app you use for emailing ... :)

Ask a Question