Apple Mail Reducing RAM to Near Zero

Reaction score
Mac-Forum:

I have an Imac 2010-ish.....OS10.9.5.

I run very little else but Firefox Browser, AppleMail, Iphoto and Pages.

I have 6 GB RAM, the maximum for this Imac.

"Clean My Mac" has a feature which allows you click and observe RAM usage.

Just recently, it seems that Apple Mail will reduce RAM from 4.5 GB available to 5 MB and then crash the system.

This occurs with just the browser open and no other major applications running.

Lastly, when I click "Free Up Memory" in the Clean My Mac window within seconds RAM is restored to previous levels.....if system had not locked up already.

Besides getting new computer.......please advise.

D/D Chicago

Reaction score
Does it happen when you just have Apple's Mail program running?

Also, CleanMyMac is not a trustworthy program to run. There are better and safer freeware programs out there. IN fact, CleanMyMac could be a/the culprit.

Another thing to consider would be that a deleted EMail does not necessarily get permanently removed/deleted. This link explains how to do that with Apple's Mail program (which I do not use, preferring Outlook 2016):

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22308?locale=en_US

Also, have you ever performed any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

Reaction score
Does it happen when you just have Apple's Mail program running?

Also, CleanMyMac is not a trustworthy program to run. There are better and safer freeware programs out there. IN fact, CleanMyMac could be a/the culprit.

Another thing to consider would be that a deleted EMail does not necessarily get permanently removed/deleted. This link explains how to do that with Apple's Mail program (which I do not use, preferring Outlook 2016):

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22308?locale=en_US

Also, have you ever performed any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective?

Thank you for your comments.
In answer to 1st Question: Yes.....occasionally this depletion of RAM occurs when every other major application? is closed.....and typically when I am writing a new email.

The only disk maintenance has been using Onyx [since uninstalled] and Clean My Mac.

I will review your attached link to Apple Support.

Did not mention that the following "odd mail events' have also been occurring at the same time as RAM problem:
1] Attempting to open a new message in the Inbox causes that message to disappear and return about 5-8 minutes later, 2] Multiple "in progress" versions of mail which has been Sent and is in the Sent File appear in Drafts File, 3] When deleting an email it does not immediately got to Trash File.....extended delays.

Lastly, some weeks ago when I contacted Go Daddy my Email and web Hosting Service with these issues they recommended changing my account to a POP Sever. [In the process they deleted 7 years of Sent Emails].

PS.....

Need to archive my Email Folders consisting of important Project Correspondence before handing computer over to Apple to transfer to new computer.....any recommendations.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

D/D
Chicago

Ask a Question