Yosemite

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I updated both Macbooks 2010 and 2013 to Yosemite today, and found the following.

Do a full backup prior to downloading.

1) Download about 5 mins, for me but will depend on your connection.
2) Make USB bootable USB stick 5 mins. You must do this before the install as once the install is complete the installer is removed.
3) Yosemite install took about 30 mins with 2 reboots.
2) Updated all Apple apps after the OS X install, as they will not function correctly, again depending on how many you have took me about 1 hour.
So about 2 hours total time with a few cups of coffee,:D
Found general layout re colours, fonts etc nice, some may say icons are flat. The dock is quite bold so will be good for those with slight sight problems as there is now a distinctive black ball under any open application.

Here is a snap shot of the bog standard 2010 Macbook, and even with only 2GB Ram is running the new OS X effortlessly.:)

Second pic is the new dock.

I also found that with the new Safari any 3rd party extensions such as AdBlock etc you may have are not displayed in its new tool bar, so just go to safari preferences / extensions and re enable them, they have not been deleted or removed. Also seems by default that your favourites bar is hidden so just un hide it through the view menu.;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 15.36.06.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 15.36.06.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 15.46.16.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 15.46.16.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent post, oldscribe! I downloaded Yosemite yesterday on my 2013 13" Mac Book Air, and will do the same soon on my late 2012 Mac Mini. For the Mac Book Air, the download took quite a bit of time, as it was via a WiFi connection at a resort in Bend, Oregon (our youngest son got married on Friday), but I suspect the one for the Mac Mini will be quite a bit faster.

As for the "Install OS X Yosemite" file in the Applications folder, after having done a backup (mine will be via SuperDuper!, which just got updated on Friday), one can also first make a copy of that "Install OS X Yosemite" somewhere else as follows:

1. If one does it on the same machine, just hold down the Option key, and drag the file to the other desired location. I did exactly that on my Mac Book Air.

2. For any external device, just drag the file to the desired location.

Then, once one runs it from the Applications folder, it will go away, but the copy is still around.

About the only "external" Apple application I use is Safari, and even that is only on those rare occasions where I have some issues with a site using Firefox (that also got updated on Friday). The applications related to the Utilities folder installed by the OS are of course already updated. Since I use quite a few third party apps, I am waiting a day or two before I upgrade. The one I am most worried about is Tech Tool Pro, although in the past, it was not an issue. But for the Mavericks upgrade from 10.9.4 to 10.9.5, there were issues, but only related to specific Mac models.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, I just saw a post from Micromat that one should not use the current version of Tech Tool Pro, 7.0.4, with Yosemite. An update is expected later this week. Hence, I won't be installing Yosemite until at least that update is available (and I apply it).

Also (and I have this on my To Do list), if you have an SSD as your boot drive (I do, in both of my machines), after installing Yosemite, you'll need to re-enable TRIM on the SSD. Not that big of a deal if you forget, but better to do it.

Ask a Question