Yosemite upgrade gone bad

Reaction score
I know. I shouldnt have. But it was just after Christmas and I was relaxed at home and I thought why the hell not. Mistake number one.

I have been trying to recover from this for a couple of weeks now and so might not remember all the steps below exactly so please bear with me.

After downloading and rebooting I tried to login but couldnt due to some kind of error. It gave me the option of retrying the upgrade but warned that the data would be overwritten. Since I was using Time Machine I was not worried. Mistake number two. I didnt check my back-up before doing this, but when I looked later it seems that although my applications were being backed up my files were not.

After retrying the upgrade I still couldnt login so I created a new admin account and logged into that. Note that my first account was also an admin account... Mistake number zero?

Using the new admin account I updated the password of my old account, but still couldnt login. Thinking that the only way to find my data going back to the new admin account and using a tool like File Salvage that is what I did. Sure enough I was able to find a number of files, but mainly photos, and not so many of them. However there were a lot of gzip files and I thought that maybe these contain my files so I am now in the process of trying to extract them. To date none of the files have contained anything useful. There are also some tar.bz2 files which also do not seem to contain anything useful.

I was using FileVault which is password protected so perhaps that is why the backup didnt work? Or the reason File Salvage cannot find the files?

My priority now is to find those old files and photos if possible. Any help on this would be much appreciated...

Ask a Question