Yosemite Upgrade and Mail's Sent Folder Is Full

Reaction score
I'm using a MacBook Pro laptop that's about a year and a half old, and upgraded to Yosemite this week. I use Mail for only one Google IMAP account. I'm not sure if this happened right away or a couple of days after the upgrade, but yesterday I noticed that Mail's Sent folder was full. It has thousands and thousands of messages, most of which I'd previously organized into their respective client folders.

Spot-checking these messages indicates most of these are, indeed, still filed where I put them, but some of them had never been filed (I was on my way to doing my periodic clean-up of that folder when I noticed the problem). Is there something I can do to make my Sent folder remove the duplicates, so I can focus on cleaning up only those that need to be put away? Unfortunately, while most of those that belong in Sent are recent, there are some older ones that were waiting for other action, so it's not easy for me to determine which ones to file, which to leave pending action, and which can be deleted.

I did try turning off "Automatically detect and maintain account settings," as I'd seen recommended for something similar, but no joy. And, in general, I'm getting lots of unrelated help when I try searching for answers.

TIA,
debi

Ask a Question