Yosemite Install Target Disk Problem

Reaction score
I had to wipe a laptop of mine and reinstall everything on it. So I connected it up to a new laptop, 2014 retina macbook pro, and put my old 2010 model in Target disk mode. It appeared on the retina and i began the Yosemite install. I selected install on external disk, it worked and restarted and finished the install. Once it was done I unplugged my 2010 laptop and booted it up. Everything worked fine, it was a fresh image and seems 100% done. Then I booted up the retina again, and it started up right away at the "Install Yosemite" screen. Where you choose your language and then disk and then start the install. Thinking it was just booting off of the disk image, I option booted to change the boot disk, and instead of having Mac OS and Recovery Disk options, the only options were Install OS X and Recovery Disk.

My thought is that somehow the computer didn't register that it installed the OS on a different disk and still wants to follow through with the installation. What can I do to change its mind and get back to my accounts and files? They are all still there, I switched it up and target disk'd the retina to the 2010 macbook and everything is still there. The file structure and everything, I just can't access it from the host computer without installing yosemite.

Solutions?

Ask a Question