Yosemite and elCapitan

Reaction score
Yosemite has just about ruined my MacBook and made it impossible to do anything about it by blocking me from going back to a system that did work. So, I have no time for another ‘upgrade’ to something much worse, and that I’m forced to stay with. Apple and I are no longer partners after 25+ years of consuming only Apple products and their policy of forcing me to use whatever the CEO orders me to is only making the situation much worse.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model MacBook?
-What is Yosemite preventing you from doing?
-Which applications aren't functioning properly?

We should be able to give you advice on how to make the MacBook run smoother in Yosemite.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which model MacBook?
-What is Yosemite preventing you from doing?
-Which applications aren't functioning properly?

We should be able to give you advice on how to make the MacBook run smoother in Yosemite.

C
MacBook mid 2009.
Everything I need to do takes makes the ball spin for far too long. The problem began after I accepted Yosemite (Mavericks was just right). It takes 15 minutes to open in the morning and the ball spins with all applications.

For 4 months I used the solutions offered by the Apple community: cleaned out the cache; safe mode start up; removed applications I didn't ask for, etc., but nothing worked. Then I found that many others were complaining similarly.

But, the real kicker was when I found out that Yosemite blocks me from going back to a system that works. And no one mentioned this or that it was not suitable for an old computer when I took the bait.

You have to think that this is yet another strategy to force people to buy new computers--as if Apple's balance sheet needed more assets. I even wrote to Tim Cook who didn't deign to answer.

As far as I'm concerned, my 25 years of loyalty to Apple is a thing of the past.

Reaction score
"As far as I'm concerned, my 25 years of loyalty to Apple is a thing of the past."

If that is how you feel, then I guess we should not offer any solutions for your situation. If you have an external drive, there are ways to resolve your situation and go back to Mavericks. And, as Cory says, there are some things we can help you with to get the machine to run in an acceptable manner with Yosemite.

Reaction score
I certainly would have gone back to Mavericks if it were possible. I talked to Apple and I have no doubt that that's the case. Those who say you can go back assume Mavericks is still somewhere in my computer but it's not. Even then, Apple has blocked it. The only way I can get it is to get rid of this computer and try to find a used one that has Mavericks loaded.

I'm surprised that you don't know you can't go back.

Reaction score
I certainly would have gone back to Mavericks if it were possible. I talked to Apple and I have no doubt that that's the case. Those who say you can go back assume Mavericks is still somewhere in my computer but it's not. Even then, Apple has blocked it. The only way I can get it is to get rid of this computer and try to find a used one that has Mavericks loaded.

I'm surprised that you don't know you can't go back.

Yes, you can! But, your attitude makes it difficult to help you. Again, if you have an external drive, it is possible.

First, do you still have the "Install OS X Mavericks" files some place on your machine?

Secondly, did you ever download Mavericks from the Apple store? If you did, then you "purchased it", and you'd be able to see it in your list of purchases from the Apple Store? (That should certainly be the case for Yosemite).

Reaction score
1. Young lady, don't presume to be concerned about my attitude. I am an old woman and I don't have much time for bad manners or ignorance.
2. You don't seem to be reading what I write.
Repeat, Mavericks is not in my computer.
A lot of other, well informed and very capable people have worked on this with me for months and I have no doubt about what they have to say.
3. I dpn't want to hear from you again.

Reaction score
Whether or not you want to hear from me again, I am going to set some facts straight:

1. I am not a young lady. I am an older, knowledgeable man who has always been willing to try and help someone. But, the individual seeking help must have the right attitude, and exhibit the appropriate behavior, along with being receptive to assistance. Obviously, that is not the case with you.

2. I do understand when you say "Mavericks is not on my computer". What that specifically means in your case is that currently, Mavericks is not the operating system (OS) that you are currently running under. It is Yosemite. But, to start the process of installing any OS (assuming your machine qualifies for it), that process begins with a file called "Install OS X "OS Name"". So, I was asking if you still have the file entitled "Install OS X Mavericks" on your machine. If not, then one can go to the App Store, click on "purchases", and see which software one has downloaded from the App Store. For me, I do see the 4 Mac OX X Operating Systems Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan which I had previously downloaded from the App Store (in addition to some other products). So, I can go back to the App Store and re-download any of them.

But, it's obvious anything I try and say to provide assistance falls on deaf ears.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...OK. Everyone needs to cool down, take a break, and stop the personal attacks. We do not condone, nor will we tolerate this type of interaction.

This forum is comprised of knowledgeable people who donate their time and advice for free to answer questions and help folks out with their issues. Many of us have been in the Mac support business for a very long time...since the 1980s in my case. Collectively, we can answer most questions and solve most issues. We will try our very best to help in any situation, in a pleasant and friendly manner. We do reserve the right to stop assisting and lock posts, so that conversations do not deteriorate further, which doesn't benefit anyone.

As a member here, everyone is held to the same standard and is expected to act accordingly. If a suggested course of action doesn't fix an issue, is something that is beyond your experience level, or something you have previously tried, then simply let us know. We sometimes ask for more information, to enable us to properly diagnose/troubleshoot issues and provide the best advice on how to correct them. If you choose not to try our suggestions, or disagree with them, then that is your choice. Some issues are very difficult to identify via this forum, without having the ability to actually see and interact with the computer first-hand. In those cases, it is always best to take the unit to an Apple Store Genius Bar, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

I suggest we get back to the issue at hand, or terminate this thread. We will be glad to try and determine the cause of the original issue, and continue to give suggestions to try and solve the issue.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

C

Ask a Question