Work around for laser printer on OS9 classic.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site; I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

One of my clients runs a PowerPC G4 eMac with OSX 10.3.9. She needed a new printer to print images (her old one died a slow death). I recently bought her a Samsung CLP-300. Her new printer works great with all her OSX applications. It's a really nice printer by the way.

She sometimes works woth the local newspaper which makes a habbit of using obsolete software. They can only accept files created using an application called "WriteNow 3.0" and this application can only be run in OS9.

When she starts up "WriteNow 3.0" it automatically loads OS9 Classic. According to the apple system profiler, it's System 9.2.2 US. The program runs fine in classic, but she can't print to her new laser printer in OS9. I looked up the speciffics for this printer and, of course, there's no info for AppleTalk. If I open Chooser, and select LaserWriter 8, there are no printers listed. If I open the "USB printer sharing" dialogue, CLP-300 is listed under the "My printers" tab.

I'm not terribly familiar with OS9, so I'm having a hard time thinking of a workaround for this. Maybe if I install Acrobat Writer 5 or 6, I can print from WriteNow 3.0 to Acrobat. Then, I'll save the pdf file and open it using Acrobat Reader 8.1. From there Would I be able to print the file?

Does anyone have any better ideas? I'm open to suggestions. Anything You can think of might help.

Thanks

Ask a Question