Wit’s end with old iMac

Reaction score
I have a used iMac that i purchased cheap. I erased hard drive and tried to put Lion back on it. I’ve tried to make a bootable usb install with low Sierra and no luck. I will post a lot of pics with exactly what the iMac is and screens of where I’m at now. I absolutely do not know what I’m doing and have posted for help on other forums but somewhere I’m missing doing something because i am nowhere closer to getting it going. This computer looks new and was never updated by owner - he passed away and never had the computer on or an apple acct. I think it’s worth the trouble to play with but this has me stumped. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. Here’s the info and if you would like more let me know. View attachment 3753

Reaction score
Info

Attachments

• D64EBD35-D92F-44A4-8304-E21061E6D2FE.jpeg
    D64EBD35-D92F-44A4-8304-E21061E6D2FE.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
the steps I’m taking to try to get SierraOS onto hd may be completely wrong or i may be missing a step or something - also it still wants to load Lion when trying to repair online

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I deleted your other post, since we will troubleshoot in this post...

Reaction score
Cory thanks - i used disk makerx to make the usb but it didn’t work for whatever reason. Has to be something I’m not doing

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK...it may be because the Sierra download from Apple isn't an installer app, it is a disk image (DMG) file. Or, did you download El Capitan, as it is a disk image as well.

Maybe try Internet Recovery again, but use Option-Command-R if you didn't;t the first time.

C

Reaction score
It wasn’t elcapitan and I’ve tried the option command r many times. I downloaded Sierra from apple but it wouldn’t work using diskmakerx - i tried from other sources and still wouldn’t work - i mean diskmakerx wouldn’t work. I’m going to give another installer app a try later this eve. I really appreciate the help !

Reaction score
I wanted to ask - what’s the disk 1 at the bottom of pic above - Mac ox base system ? Should i delete also ?

Ask a Question