Wired mouse craps out

Reaction score
These days (yes,it just started a few weeks ago) my wired mouse stopped working on my 2021 M1 iMac (Monterey). I can immediately restore functionality by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I connect it to my computer through any of several USB hub ports, and sometimes through my keyboard hub port, all of which seem to work fine for other things. Is this the mouse itself going bad, or what? If the mouse is failing, why does resetting it by unplugging and plugging back in fix it?

Reaction score
Is this an older Apple Mouse? I know someone that has the same issue, and did not want to replace the mouse. The solution was to get a USB Hub that has a switch for each port. When her mouse stopped working she just turned the switch off and then on again.

I am not sure of the cause of this other than it started after the 12.6.7 update.

Reaction score
Well, a switched USB hub is a lot more pricey than a wired mouse, and who wants to have to flip a switch to use your mouse? The question is whether this is a recognized failure mode of wired computer mouses. This is actually an old Dell mouse.

VERY interesting that in your case, the trouble started after the 12.6.7 update. So did mine. Is that suggesting that the problem is NOT with the mouse?

Reaction score
As you said, mice are cheap. I would try a new mouse and see if the issue goes away.

Also Apple has released 12.6.8. Have you installed that to see if your mouse still disconnects?

Reaction score
I am on 12.6.8. But yes, I have switched mice with another machine, and will see if the problem was mouse-specific. Just curious if this behavior was a recognized failure mode of wired mice.

Reaction score
I subbed in another wired mouse a week ago. No problems. Therefore, what I was seeing WAS a failure mode for a wired mouse. Useful to know.

Ask a Question