White bar at top of desktop Search for Web

Reaction score
I can't delete a white bar that is titled "Search for Web " at top of my desktop. I tried repairing in disk utilities, I tried zapping PRAM, tried Malwarebytes, here is a screen capture of it. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on an old Mac Pro 2009.

Attachments

• Search the Web Bar at top of desktop.png
    Search the Web Bar at top of desktop.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 324
Reaction score
That looks like something connected with Spotlight. I don't use Spotlight for my searches, preferring instead the excellent freeware program EasyFind. But I wonder if your issue has something to do with a Spotlight setting, or maybe permissions.

Maybe try this: download, install, and run the excellent freeware program Onyx, available from here:

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Given that you are using El Capitan, make sure to obtain the V3.1.9.

When you launch Onyx, it will first ask you if it's OK to check your internal drive. Click Continue to have that done. Next, click on "Maintenance", and execute the 3 tasks Permissions, Scripts, and Rebuilding. You should execute Permissions 2 or 3 times, to correct/reset all the ones Onyx finds. Then, click on Cleaning, and run every one of those tasks except Erasing. When you are all done, shut down your Mac, then start it up again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy reply. I don't use Spotlight I use what your using EasyFind. Also what is V3.1.9?

Reaction score
Hmm, seems strange.

Regarding V3.1.9, on the link I provided for Onyx, it shows the numerous versions of Onyx that are available. As is evident, there is a specific version for each Mac OS. For you, given that you use El Capitan (OS 10.11.6), you need to download V3.1.9, ie, Version 3.1.9 of Onyx from that link.

Reaction score
Well it didn't take away the "search the Web" bar at top of desk top but it did delete all my history. Had a hard time finding my way back here. Maybe I went too far on the clean up.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

If we could see a more detailed screenshot, it may help. Looks like either an extension in your browser, or an application that is loading at startup/login item.

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

That definitely looks like an application that is running.

What is listed in:  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > Login Items

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I see you have VMware and CrossOver installed. If they are in coherence/unity mode, then maybe there is something in the Windows world that is causing it.

I do know of something called Web Bar in Windows, that is adware.

C

Reaction score
OK I'll try taking those two out. I could never have any success with Cross Over and don't know what VMware is.

Reaction score
I took those two out did a restart, didn't help. I use NeoFinder but does it really need to be in start up items. I just now took out also something called Speech Synth which I don't know what that is.

Reaction score
No help. I took out NeoFinder and it boots faster also it was the second to last thing that loaded. Usually sys pref's is last thing that loads on my desktop. Why do I need any of those in startup items. Can't I just take them out without a problem with those apps?

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I took everything out of StartUp Items and it's still there. I ran Malwarebytes one time emptied quarantine folder, didn't see anything in there but emptied it anyway. Everything is booting much faster but that dam white bare is still there. I want to get this fixed because I'm about to load 24GB RAM I only have 12GB in now. The only other info I could give you is I did the Firmware upgrade crack (if you want to call it that) that changed my old 2009 Mac Pro from 4,1 to 5,1 so it now thanks it's a 2010 Model and will accept High Sierra up grade this I did on another internal HD installed High Sierra. No white bar in that system. I have so many 3rd party app's that I need as a graphic designer and I knew Sierra wouldn't recognize all of them so I have one internal HD with 10.11.6 El Capitan and another with Sierra. Soon I'll be getting a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB I'll install onto a Accelsior S card from OtherWorld Computing. I need to put it on a card because it's a SATA 3 and my internal bays are SATA 2.

Reaction score
OK I zapped the PRAM once more and when rebooted I saw in the very top menu boarder a small spi glass like in Spotlight except toward the middle of top I moused over it and sure enough it had a disable option which I disabled it and it was titled Search Bar. I went into EasyFind and searched for it and this is what I found. I'll attach a screen shot it had: 2 .js files,37 .nib files and 6 html files. I would delete them all but wanted your thoughts first, and earlier in this forum a guy told me to download and run Onyx, So I did but in the "Cleaning" area I went too far and clean out all my 'Recents" in Safari which I didn't want to do. So seeing these html files which are labeled Cache files I wonder if I can recover my Recents out of them?
No More white Search Bar.

Attachments

• Search Bar files.png
    Search Bar files.png
    481.3 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
Well I deleted the two searchBar.js and searchBar.js alias files restarted and the option to turn it of is still there so now at least I can turn it of but since I deleted the Java Script files don't know why it's still there. Don't want to go messing around within the System with the nib files. But I did recover my cached Recent files. Thank you for all your help.

Ask a Question