Whirring on start up

Reaction score
This has been happening for a few weeks now but is getting worse.

When I start the computer it's really slow to load and all the time it's making this whirring noise which can only be described as a sort of dog bark. A low "woof woof". If you've heard the noise hopefully you'll understand and not think I'm crazy LOL :p Anyway it continues making this noise throughout the load bar and then once OSX loads it does it again. Normally I'll click straight on Firefox and there's always a delay while it makes several "woof woof"'s.

I don't know why this could be as I have over 300GB of space left and have tried clearing my history but it made no difference.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'd suggest you start up from the installation disks and run a verification of your hard drive. If there are any problems, you can try to repair the disk.

To start up from your installation disks, put the disk in the CD drive and re-start your Mac while holding the C key down. Once it starts up, you can release the key. That will force your Mac to start from the CD/DVD. Once that is running, look for Disk Utility on the CD and select the mounted volume of your hard drive. Then click on it and then "verify disk."

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

Do I need to back up all my files before doing this or will it not affect them?

Reaction score
A back-up is always an excellent idea. Disk verification should not damage your files, but one is never wrong having a current back-up in case disaster strikes.

Reaction score
Just to update this post - I now know that this symptom was because my hard drive was dying. In case anyone has the same problem - you'll know what to expect so make sure you back up your work religiously!

Reaction score
Just to update this post - I now know that this symptom was because my hard drive was dying. In case anyone has the same problem - you'll know what to expect so make sure you back up your work religiously!

Words of wisdom!

Ask a Question