What's your favourite City ?

Ric

Reaction score
or Town or Village or Place.

Any of the above and why should we go visit ?

What makes it so special ?

Reaction score
for some odd reason i have something with boston in the usa
want to go there some where
maybe because its no over used in fiction be it comics books movies or series like new york los angeles and to an extent chicago are

Ric

Reaction score
I know what you mean...I had a similar reason for going to New York...just one of those places that I had seen a million times over in the movies, TV etc...and so just decided to go.

I was only going to go for a couple of days and then catch an internal flight and go exploring elsewhere...but ended up staying for a few weeks without going to see anywhere else !

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Well bluekatt,

I can highly recommend the Boston area. Having lived all over the eastern US, and having traveled all over the US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean, I can tell you that the Boston area and New England itself is one of the most historic, culturally diverse, unique, and beautiful areas in the United States. From my little home in southern New Hampshire, I can be in Boston, the White Mountains, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, Maine, Rhode Island, the Atlantic Ocean, etc. all in an hour or less.

Boston has a lot to offer (like NY and LA) but is much smaller and easier to visit:

NFL - Patriots
MLB - Red Sox (Fenway Park)
NBA - Celtics
NHL - Bruins
Boston Marathon

North End - Italian
Walden Pond
Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market
U.S.S. Constitution
Bunker Hill
Boston Common
Boston Tea Party
Plymouth Rock
Beacon Hill
Lexington Green
Paul Revere House
Halloween in Salem, MA
Gloucester, MA (The Perfect Storm)

M.I.T.
Harvard University
Boston University
Berklee College of Music
Boston College

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Boston Pops

It goes on and on.

;)

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Go to Boston (or anywhere in New England) with a bunch of H.P. Lovecraft books and read them all. HIGHLY recommended!

I like the place I live now the best: Victoria B.C. Canada. It's pretty, it's cool, and the people are nice. Vancouver Island has seemingly unlimited amazing outdoor activities and sights! Downside is living on an island is expensive. A loaf of decent organic bread will cost you $3.50 to $4.00 in the grocery store.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
I love B.C. It is beautiful up there. It's been a while.

If you are into hiking or backpacking, camping, and adventure check out North Manitu Island in Lake Michigan. It is beautiful.

I love New England. To me, it holds truth. It's home to Emerson, Thoreau, and many other enlightened authors/transendentalists.

Sorry, that's the English major talking in me.

Reaction score
In the UK for me it would have to be Saffron Walden in Essex, very pretty little market town, with lots of cool bric-a-brac /antique shops, oh and some rather nice pubs......many years ago it used to the mecca for harvesting Saffron, hence the name, and on many of the old buildings are still decorated with mouldings of tulips (Sorry to bore you with the history lesson!)

Further afield, bit of a (yawn) story behind this, I did route 66 with a friend of mine many years ago, and visited some very wierd, wonderful, and also very diturbing places, but one of my very favourite was called las vegas, not the big brash one, but a fabulous little town in New Mexico, great people, great buildings

Can't say I am a fan of big cities.....always seem to get lost in them....!

Attachments

• saffron walden street.jpg
    saffron walden street.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 378
  • las vegas nm.jpg
    las vegas nm.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 375

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Las Vegas, New Mexico! Been there! They have (had?) a great used book store and we had chile-cheese fries at a restaurant downtown that I STILL think about. There's a small university there, too. Gotta love New Mexico!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
Las Vegas, New Mexico! Been there! They have (had?) a great used book store and we had chile-cheese fries at a restaurant downtown that I STILL think about. There's a small university there, too. Gotta love New Mexico!

Its been a long time since I was there, but I certainly remember the small university. Memory that sticks with me was the allmost perfect town square - it was like going back in time. Have to agree on New Mexico, the coolest state with some of the greatest and kindest people, not to mention the Mexican food in Santa Fe mmmmmmmmm.......

Reaction score
Not really a city, but my favourite place has to be Egypt. Where we have stayed, it is very peaceful, in the middle of the desert with a private part of the red sea.

There are certain places I would not stay in Egypt such as Cairo etc, but I do love the peaceful location we have stayed at, in Nuewebia. Here are a couple of pics of where we stayed on the Red sea:

http://sarah602.fpic.co.uk/p8535941.html

http://sarah602.fpic.co.uk/p8535939.html

http://sarah602.fpic.co.uk/p14346886.html

http://sarah602.fpic.co.uk/p8535944.html

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Wow, Kyomii, what great pictures! Did you take those? That's not how I pictured Egypt at all! Very beautiful.

I have to put in that I love AMSTERDAM. I've been there twice and it felt like I had finally come home. If someone had shipped my two cats to me I think I would have stayed.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
WOW, those pics are awesome Kyomii!!!

Since we are talking about favorite cities....I have always wanted to visit London. I may be over in London this coming January for three weeks studying theatre...if things work out! So, to our UK members, keep your eyes open in your pubs for me!!! :) I will try to keep my travel stuff posted so if anyone wants to meet up for a drink or something while I'm over there.

Reaction score
Hi,

I love Totnes in Devon, England.

More of a village than a city.

Some friends & I go there every august bank holiday weekend.

Great pubs, craft fairs, farmers markets.

There's even a place where you can over a period of a few weeks learn how to build your own guitar. Once it's built you can take it home.

A lovely place.

Ask a Question