Welcome from Columbus, Wisconsin

Reaction score
Hey all, I am iMav. I have been a Mac user since I dipped my toe into the Mac world with the purchase of a G4 Mac mini. (my first Intel-based Mac was a Mac mini with a CoreSOLO CPU)

In a former life, I was a UNIX admin...so Macs were not interesting to me until OS X was released (with its BSD-base).

My primary driver is a Late-2013, 27" iMac (with quad-core 3.5 GHz Core i7, 32GB of ram, and 512GB of solid state storage).

I also own a Mid-2012 Macbook Pro (with dual-core 2.9 GHz Core i7, 16GB of ram, and 1.5TB of Fusion drive storage (512GB SSD + 1TB HDD).

I recently picked up a Mid-2010 white plastic unibody Macbook (2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 16GB of ram, 640GB Fusion drive storage (128GB SSD + 512GB HDD).

I also just ordered a 2016 Retina Macbook (512GB, m5).

Reaction score
Welcome! Are you establishing a data center? Seems like it!
Heh. I do have a fairly beefy ESXi server (dual 6-core Xeon CPUs, 64GB ram, and a large, external disk array) that I use as a lab environment for work (which includes one virtualized Mac in the mix...along with server Windows servers, Linux appliances, etc).

I had just the MBP since I bought it in 2012. And just recently picked up the 27" iMac (which I upgraded to 32GB ram)...it is also hooked up to two additional monitors. Very nice.

Once that was my primary driver, I decided to play with fusion drives and added the 1TB HDD to the MBP.

I bought the white MacBook for next to nothing ($100 maybe?) off of eBay. I simply wanted to see how serviceable it would be if I upgraded it. I repasted the heat sink, upgraded to the SSD and HDD (for the fusion drive), and threw in 16GB ram. It is a solid workhorse now!

I failed to mention that I also just recently picked up a Mid-2010, 21.5" iMac with 3.06 GHz Core i3 CPU. The hard drive was failing, so the seller thought it was junk and practically gave it away. I have a 3.6 GHz i5 that I am going to upgrade it to. I also have 32GB ram for it and also a 128GB SSD and 2GB HDD for a fusion drive. It will serve as a video editing workstation for my kids. :)

Reaction score
Whoa, iMav, you aint' kidding around! Welcome to the forum and thanks for bringing your advanced nerdology to share with us.

I recall buying a new G4 tower when they first came out, whereupon I became the much envied cutting edge power user in the office with my awesome screaming fast machine. Bow down to me you lowly G3 peons!

I still have a G4 tower today, and it now seems so incredibly slow that it's basically useless for anything but running a very outdated version of Spotify.

Same machine. But different expectations.

Ask a Question