webcam not working

Reaction score
hey,

i have a macbook pro-its approximately 18 months old-recently i tried to use the inbuilt webcam to talk to a friend in japan. his worked grand but mine seems to have stopped working...
it says there is no video source supplied-how is it possible to turn itself off? i can see nothing in system preferences to help me- the only thing i can think is that perhaps the cam was alligned with another user on my laptop and now that they dont use it it too has cancelled itself-any ideas please help
many thanks
conor

Reaction score
hey ric,

thanks for gettin back so soon- the cam was working with yahoo messenger-it never worked with msn or anything. it did work in conjunction with photobooth but now doesn't. applications like ichat say the isight just plainly isnt there i.e. there's no video source available. could it have been somethin i might have done on the web?

thanks again

conor

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello crotherman,

Have you tried using another Account or creating one in System Preferences, then testing Photo Booth, or Yahoo? Or even iChat?

If you launch iChat and open iChat Preferences, then click on the Video Tab ... what do you see? What about if you launch Photo Booth ... do you receive any error message?

Can you start the camera through the Accounts pref pane, by clicking on the Picture tab?

Click on the Blue Apple icon in the menubar and select "About This Mac", then click on the "More Info" button, do you see the iSight Camera listed under:

Hardware ~> USB ~> USB High-Speed Bus​

Can you think of anything you may have been doing just prior to this issue that may or may not be related?

Here is a doc from the Apple website:

How to Troubleshoot iSight

You could also try booting in Safe Mode, then restarting normally again to see if this has any positive effect.

Reaction score
hey spawn dooley-cool name

thanks for yur help there much appreciated but it still doesnt work

the only thing i can think i did was one night in a drunken stupor i visited a site where ahm how do u say people watch each other...

my canm didnt work here either but it did ask for permission to use it and then it still didnt work... form what i remember

again any help wud be much appreciated thanks

conor

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies life sometimes get's busy ;-)

If you want me to have a look at your Mac in an hour or so (remotely), let me know...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks ric,

as u can probably tell i'm a little naive about this-how exactly do u do that?

thanks

conor

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

turn iChat on and add me in as a buddy...

The select the two squares...

screensharing.jpg

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Apologies,

I didn't realise that they wanted a card details !!!

You used to be able to just sign up !

Plan B

How is your mac physically connected to the Internet...make and model of routers and hubs etc...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
its wireless!
and between me and u its net doors! they dont seem to mind tho-nice people.

its thru a group called actiontech
and is generally quite steady

i cant understand why it once worked and now doesnt
could it be the software needs updating or that updating it was the problem...

thanks again

Reaction score
no offence but i dunno if this is some dodgy thing...

i think i might leave it to the mac guys...

thankyou though for yur help

its very much appreciated and i hope i can help u one day... tho i doubt it

Ric

Reaction score
No worries !

The link is to a Apple Remote Desktop Installer package, if you install this and the router is configured correctly then I can access your mac and try to help further.

I have no problem if you don't want to do this... to be honest It sounds like you don't have control of of the router so it probably won't work anyway.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
i went to try and do it there ric but it says i might change the network or somethin...

u think the people who run the router have stopped me usin my cam?

but then it shud surely still work with photobooth shudnt it?
it doesnt work at all ever

Ask a Question