Video card failure

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac which i had bought in 2011. Runs on Sierra o/s. Three days back, it suddenly went belly up and i get only grey pin stripe lines and an endless boot loop. Tried the stuff the pundits advised but nothing worked. Called the local Apple service center and described the problem. They opined that it seemed to be a video card failure ( after checking my serial number) and that it would cost me INR 44000 (US$ 688) to replace. Wow! Half the cost that i paid for the Mac! Called Apple support for help and they advised to take it to a service center and get a diagnostics done. Dis it and the result was 'Video failure'.

Understand that Apple had a (free) replacement program for such failures as they were common in 27" IMacs built during 2011- my serial number confirms that it would have been eligible for a free replacement. Unfortunately it seems that the free support ended 31st March 2017. Just 36 days before my Mac went phut.

Cannot afford $688 and not happy with my daughter's windows PC- What are my options?

If Apple knew that there was a history of failure with this particular model and year, they could have at least informed their customers so that we could have replaced the card or at least backed up our data. I am stuck now.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Have you taken it to an Actual Apple Store and explained the situation? Apple has been known to honor the Repair Extension Programs just after their official expiration. I am not guaranteeing they will, but they may. It might be worth a try, especially if you contacted them directly via phone only 36 days out.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cary.
Yes, i took it to an Apple service center and got a diagnostics done. Yep. Video failure. Again talked to support. Wrote to Tim Cook, got a call the next day from an executive. Asked for a week to study the issue and he did. But bottom line? Sorry, you need to get the part replaced by paying.
Am checking out cheaper options, if any, now.:(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that things haven't changed.

At this point, I would look into buying a used/new iMac to replace it, rather than repairing it if you cannot find a cheaper option.

Wish we could do more for you.

C

Ask a Question