Macbook Pro - Video card problem

Reaction score
Hey,

Here's the problem: The display colors are distorted and grainy, and that points to a video card failure based on my past experience.

This occurred shortly after I installed the most recent security update. My Windows partition also crashed right before I installed it, and it did not ever boot correctly afterwards. It gave an error message, but it display always flashed it too quickly before it could be read (and the screen turned black). However, I doubt that software issues play a role.

The hardware diagnostic did not detect any errors although the colors were still distorted when booting from the CD.

I am reformatting the computer on the slight chance that something weird did happen, but if that doesn't work, is there any other method or will I have to send it in for repair?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have tested the display for an external monitor now. The other monitors looks great, so it seems that either the display suddenly went haywire randomly or that the logic board has a specific error (my guesses).

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

My first check would have been to reinstall the OS, as you have done !

The fact that it still doesn't work properly and 'does' work on the external monitor would make me think that the cable between the LCD and the Mac is faulty or the LCD itself and not the Logic board...

If it is still in warranty then get them to look at it !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Is the colorsync profile correct? System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Show profiles for this display only -> Select the remaining profile in the list.

Ask a Question